Daily Technical Update May 20, 2010 GBP/JPY in Wave V Extension?
- 1H: Following yesterday's GBP/JPY update, the bearish continuation attempt materialized.
- After the post, the market rallied a bit further, to the 61.8% retracement. The then-noted negative reversal became invalid, but another one formed. The RSI is higher on 5/19 than 5/18, but price action was not.
- This suggests a swing projection, targeting 128.20.
- This is the target for this swing, but let's look at the 4H time-frame to see a count for the swing that started at the end of April.
- 4H and Daily: The 4H chart shows a possible wave count for the decline that started April 26.
- The practical thing about this count is the wave V proportion to wave III. It is already no longer a truncated fifth. Instead, it may head to 125.00 area.
- This would be a wave III equivalence.
- There can be some short-term support here.
- However, another scenario exists if the market breaks below 125. Since Wave III>Wave I and Wave V> Wave III, then this is an extended fifth.
- The Daily chart shows a 200% expanded retracement at the 119.50 level, which is near the 138.2% extension. This 119.50 level may be the ultimate target of this extended wave V.
- This scenario however should not be seriously considered until a break below 125.00. Note that this 125.00 area in the daily is the approximately a 161.8% expanded retracement.
- It should be noted that as the market accelerates its fall, it is creating the proper dynamics for an Extended Wave V.
Fan Yang Currency Analyst Commodity Trading Advisor
Join the Discussion