Just days after Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino was listed as a plaintiff in a concussion-related lawsuit against the NFL, the retired Miami Dolphins legend announced his withdrawal from the legal proceedings.
Marino, 52, was one of 15 former National Football League players attached to a federal lawsuit filed last week in Philadelphia that alleges the league misled its athletes regarding football-related brain injuries, the Los Angeles Times reported on Monday. But in a statement released on Tuesday, Marino said he never intended to sue the NFL.
“Within the last year I authorized a claim to be filed on my behalf just in case I needed future medical coverage to protect me and my family in the event I later suffered from the effects of head trauma,” Mario told Sports Illustrated’s TheMMQB.com. “In so doing I did not realize I would be automatically listed as a plaintiff in a lawsuit against the NFL.
“I have made the decision it is not necessary for me to be part of any claims or this lawsuit and therefore I am withdrawing as a plaintiff effective immediately. I am sympathetic to other players who are seeking relief who may have suffered head injuries. I also disclaim any reference in the form complaint of current head injuries.”
Several news media outlets reported that Marino wants out of the suit because he's concerned that it would rule out future job opportunities with the Dolphins, according to the New York Daily News.
Marino is estimated to have suffered at least two concussions during his 17-year-old career, the Miami Herald noted. In a short-form complaint within the lawsuit, Marino claimed that he “sustained repetitive, traumatic sub-concussive and/or concussive head impacts during NFL games and/or practices.”
A source close to Marino told Sports Illustrated that he isn't yet suffering from memory loss or other post-concussion symptoms.
The league in August settled a class-action lawsuit brought on behalf of about 4,000 players for $765 million, which is meant to cover medical expenses for concussion-related issues.
While the league agreed to that settlement, a judge hasn't approved it amid concerns the amount might not be large enough, the Daily News reported.