Get your sonic screwdrivers ready because “Doctor Who” Season 9 is almost here. BBC America has released a new trailer for the British sci-fi staple, and it includes quite a few exciting faces. While beloved villains like Missy (Michelle Gomez) and the Daleks are sure to excite longtime fans, one new face in particular is thrilling even non-Whovians: Maisie Williams. The “Game of Thrones” actress’ role is highly anticipated, but the details are top secret. This is everything we've learned about her character so far:
1. The Past – Williams is seen at the 7-second mark in period clothing, and it doesn’t look much more modern than her “Game of Thrones” character, Arya Stark. She's not exactly in a medieval setting anymore, but she's still far from the present day.
2. Questionable Acquaintances – At the 20-second mark, she is seen talking to some sort of lion man who later breathes fire, so she might have some dangerous friends. It’s also worth noting that she looks much fancier here than she did in the earlier shot.
3. She Needs Help – Clara (Jenna Coleman) tells Williams that the Doctor is coming up with a plan early in the video. It looks like she’ll need their help, and it might be because she is in life-threatening danger. At the 39-second mark, Williams is near an explosion and she looks scared.
Watch the trailer for “Doctor Who” Season 9 below:
4. Brand New Character – She isn’t an old character’s new body or anything like that. Williams is playing someone that Whovians haven’t met before. “She is not playing a returning character,” executive producer Steven Moffat revealed at the Television Critics Association press tour, TV Line reports. “She’s a brand new character. She’s not someone from the Doctor’s past.”
5. Surprising The Doctor – In the San Diego Comic-Con trailer, the last few seconds show Williams pulling off a mask and the Doctor seems to recognize her. “What took you so long, old man?” she asks. Watch the video below:
6. Disguises – In the newest “Doctor Who” Season 9 trailer, Williams has two outfits. One makes her look like a peasant, and the other makes her look like an aristocrat. In the Comic-Con clip, Williams had a mask, so it seems like her character might be a master of disguise.
7. Challenging The Doctor – The new character might not get along with the Doctor. When Moffat first announced Williams’ guest starring role, he teased that she would frustrate the Time Lord. “It’s not possible to say too much about who or what she’s playing, but she is going to challenge the Doctor in very unexpected ways,” Moffat said in a press release. “This time he might just be out of his depth, and we know Maisie is going to give him exactly the right sort of hell.”
“Doctor Who” Season 9 premieres Saturday, Sept. 19, at 9 p.m. EDT on BBC America.