After eating nearly two pounds worth of rocks, a 7-year-old golden retriever has a “tail” to tell.
Gordon went into emergency surgery on Wednesday in Eden Prairie, Minn., after he ate 16 river rocks in his owners’ garden, KARE 11 reports. He is expected to make a full recovery.
"You don't see too many dogs that eat this many rocks usually," Dr. Jeff Yu, the veterinarian that performed Gordon’s surgery said. "Most dogs will stop after one or two, but Gordon certainly had quite the hankering for some rocks."
The golden retriever who ingested 1.79 pounds of rocks is expected to make a full recovery, according to BluePearl Veterinary Partners, the hospital where Gordon underwent surgery.
Some of the stones were up to two inches long, Yu said, adding that the dog managed to pass one of them before surgery, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports. Had Gordon eaten one or two rocks, the surgery would not have been necessary since dogs “can pass some pretty incredible things,” Yu said. “Unfortunately, this dog just got into so many rocks.”
Gordon’s owners declined to comment on the incident, but Yu said that this wasn’t the first time he has removed unusual objects from a pup’s gut.
“I removed a rubber duck from a dog once. That was really interesting to see on X-ray,” he said. “It literally looked like a rubber duck.”
Originally from Montreal, Zoë Mintz joined IBTimes in March 2013. A graduate from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University, her writing has...