Italian luxury brand Dolce and Gabbana has issued a formal apology over the recent photo ban in Hong Kong that allegedly discriminated the natives.
We understand that the events which unfolded in front of the Dolce & Gabbana boutique on Canton Road have offended the citizens of Hong Kong, and for this we are truly sorry and we apologize, said an official statement on the store's wall Tuesday.
The Dolce & Gabbana policy is to welcome the Hong Kong people and that of the whole world respecting the rights of each individual and of the local laws.
Thousands of protestors gathered outside the D&G flagship store in Hong Kong earlier this month after the company's security guards reportedly banned a photographer from taking pictures of the store from the sidewalk.
The move was regarded as a discriminatory step by the natives as the photo ban policy was not extended to people from China or other countries.
Continue Reading Below
Hence, although the issue superficially appeared as a protection of intellectual properties, reports earlier mentioned that there are deep-set implications including a possible difference in access to freedom between mainland China and Hong Kong.
Since the city's handover to China in 1997, Hong Kong people have faced a lot of setbacks in their fight for democracy and freedom. As there is no universal suffrage and other political rights, they cling very hard on to what is left for them, such as the fundamental right to enjoy public space, Chung Kim-wah of the Center for Social Policies Studies at Hong Kong Polytechnic University told the WSJ.
Following this, protestors gathered outside the D&G store Jan. 8 forcing the officials to close it down. This was followed by a second rally Jan. 15, asking the officials to either apologize or get out.