Donald Trump is making an awful lot of noise lately. It looks like the presidential candidate is still sore about NBC firing him from his job as host of “Celebrity Apprentice” after 14 long seasons as he's taken to Twitter to lash out agains the network.
Following his announcement that he is officially running on the Republican ticket for president of the United States in 2016, Donald Trump made some pretty disparaging remarks about illegal Mexican immigrants.
“They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists and some, I assume, are good people,” the 69-year-old business mogul said (via Reuters).
This sparked a massive backlash that ended with Trump getting the boot from NBC. The network announced that it will not only be replacing him as the host of “Celebrity Apprentice” but it will not air the Miss USA or Miss Universe pageants.
“At NBC, respect and dignity for all people are cornerstones of our values,” the network said in a statement (via TV Line). “Due to the recent derogatory statements by Donald Trump regarding immigrants, NBCUniversal is ending its business relationship with Mr. Trump.”
Now, amid yet another storm of controversy, Trump took to twitter to respond to NBC’s decision to sever its business relationship with him claiming, essentially, that they can’t fire him because he quit. (Similar to that of an adolescent breakup.)
It was only after I informed NBC that I wouldn't do the Apprentice that they became upset w/ me. They couldn’t care less about “inclusion"
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 20, 2015
Trump isn’t necessarily wrong. By nature of him running for president, he would have had to be out of “Celebrity Apprentice” given the legalities of NBC broadcasting just one presidential candidate. According to CNN, he previously released a scathing statement about the network when the news of his firing was fresh calling it "weak" and "foolish" for not understanding the immigration problem in America and pretending his candidacy didn't disqualify him from the show to begin with. However, it’s still unclear exactly who pulled the trigger on Trump’s exit from the reality show first.
Meanwhile, the network is reportedly hard at work trying to find Trump’s replacement on “Celebrity Apprentice” as a Season 15 has already been green lit. So far, names like Martha Stewart, Richard Branson, Mark Cuban and Magic Johnson have allegedly been a part of the conversation. As previously reported, George Lopez was said to be a front-runner for the position but The Wrap reports that rumor is false. However, the Mexican-American comedian did bring Trump’s name up in a recent profanity-laced tirade regarding his comments on Mexican immigrants. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Lopez led the crowd at an Arizona performance in a chant: “This country is better with Latinos in it.”
What are your thoughts on Trump’s response to NBC cutting him from “Celebrity Apprentice”? Comment below or tweet your thoughts to @TylerMcCarthy.