The doors of “Downton Abbey” are closing. The PBS historical drama will take a week off before coming to an end Sunday, March 6, after six seasons. Still, with two-hours left, writer Julian Fellowes had plenty of time to pack in some last-minute laughs and tears. Here’s what you can expect in the “Downton Abbey” series finale:
1. Holiday Episode – Longtime “Downton” fans know that the season finale is always the Christmas episode, which only U.K. viewers are lucky enough to watch on the actual holiday. This year, the special will skip over Christmas in favor of New Year’s Eve.
2. Rose Returns – An important family event brings Rose (Lily James) and Atticus (Matt Barber) back to Downton for a New Year’s celebration.
3. Major Staff Changes – Carson (Jim Carter) has been eager to maintain some semblance of tradition in the staff, despite cutbacks. Something will force him to make some shocking adjustments though. Meanwhile, more than one staff member from downstairs will decide to start a new life elsewhere, but one of them might not be gone forever.
4. Romances – The series finale will wrap up some romances that have been in the making for quite a while, but the two-hour episode will also have time to start a couple new relationships. Expect several of the characters to be paired off by the end of the night.
5. Mary’s New Attitude – Edith (Laura Carmichael) and Tom (Allen Leech) lashed out at Mary (Michelle Dockery) after she chased Bertie (Harry Hadden-Paton) away in episode 8, and it may have been a good thing. The eldest Crawley daughter will show quite a bit of personal growth in Season 6, episode 9.
Watch the promo video for the final episode of “Downton Abbey” below:
6. Bertie And Edith – Though the two seemed to think they’d never see each other again after they broke up, they’ll come face-to-face in the series finale. Will Bertie be able to forgive Edith for keeping her secrets?
7. Babies – Obviously, fans know that Anna (Joanne Froggatt) will be ready to give birth soon, but Baby Bates isn’t the only new arrival. Expect to see a few of your favorite “Downton” characters with newborn babies or pregnancies.
8. A Wedding – It’s the season of weddings on “Downton Abbey.” First Mrs. Hughes (Phyllis Logan) and Mr. Carson, then Mary and Henry (Matthew Goode). Who will be the next (and final) bride down the aisle? You’ll have to tune in and find out.
“Downton Abbey” Season 6, episode 9, the series finale, airs Sunday, March 6, at 9 p.m. EST on PBS.