Drake’s Summer Sixteen tour has officially come to an end after the rapper announced the last three remaining shows have been postponed. The news comes after last week’s announcement that he would postpone and cancel some shows but would keep his upcoming shows in Brooklyn, New York and Newark, New Jersey.
A spokesperson for Drake said in a statement that the remainder of the tour, which included two dates in Brooklyn and one in Newark, had to be postponed to due to Drake’s ankle injury. “Drake suffered a severe ankle injury during the tour which he did his best to power through. By doing this, he made his injury worse,” read the statement.
But while the tour is now over, the spokesperson said the dates have been postponed, meaning Drake will have to find later dates to perform at the venues.
“Under doctor's orders and to ensure Drake only ever gives fans the performances they deserve, he will be postponing the remaining 3 dates of his Summer Sixteen tour to allow him time to recuperate his ankle injury,” the statement continued. “Drake's fans mean the world to him. Seeing their faces and performing his music for them is what he loves to do the most and he can't wait to get back on stage.”
After spraining his ankle in September, Drake told fans last week that doctors were telling him to take a break from performing. “We are over 50 shows in and I have done everything to power through my recent ankle injury and leave it all out there on the stage every night. I hate to be told I can’t do something, but under doctor’s orders to allow me time to recuperate, I am being forced to postpone the intense three shows in a row in cities which have only ever shown me unconditional support,” Drake wrote in letter posted to his October’s Very Own website.
It’s uncertain when Drake will reschedule the postponed shows for as the rapper has recently announced a European tour. Kicking off on Jan. 21 in Amsterdam, Drizzy will tour Europe through March 16, 2017 as part of his Boy Meets World tour.