An electronic cigarette, otherwise known as e Cigarette, exploded in a Florida man's mouth taking out some of his front teeth, a chunk of his tongue and caused severe burn on his face because of a faulty battery, fire officials said.

Officials on Wednesday said the man, who is looking to kick his smoking habits, switched to e Cigarettes in order to stub it out.

The best analogy is like it was trying to hold a bottle rocket in your mouth when it went off, Joseph Parker, division chief for the North Bay Fire Department, told The Associated Press. The battery flew out of the tube and set the closet on fire.

The Food and Drug Administration had posted a warning about electronic cigarettes on its Web site last October.

e-Cigarettes may contain ingredients that are known to be toxic to humans, and may contain other ingredients that may not be safe, the warning read. Additionally, these products may be attractive to young people and may lead kids to try other tobacco products, including conventional cigarettes, which are known to cause disease and lead to premature death.

Officials didn't publicity identify the man because of department policy. However a Facebook page under the name Tom Holloway, 57, of Niceville, had several comments of well wishes regarding the injury. The AP also reported that database searches do match his address on the fire report with his name.

His Facebook page, which was reviewed by the media, shows that Holloway is a photographer, motorcycle enthusiast and Vietnam-era veteran.

Fire Chief Joseph Miller didn't release a name, but said the victim contacted the department that day, thanking firefighters and told them he was recovering at a hospital in Mobile, Ala. The victim also anticipated that he will be released later that day.

The AP report stated that Holloway was in his office at home when the e cigarette exploded. It burned the carpet, chair cushions, pictures and office equipment. Additionally, a scorched battery case was found on a piece of melted carpet and it looks as if it is for a cigar-sized device, report said.

People were in the house and rushed to help him.

Investigators are not sure at this time what brand of cigarette or the type of battery the victim used, Parker told The AP, but said the battery was rechargeable lithium. A recharging station and other batteries were in the room, he said.