You have permission to eat! Instead of fighting the proverbial competing figures on our shoulders--the one who says, It can't hurt and you deserve it, versus the one who says, What about that diet?--how about eating to improve your productivity?
Science now can confirm a lot of what we instinctively know about the effects of food. For instance, I know that I will pay the price, in calories and disturbed sleep, for drinking that margarita. I recognize the rush and crash from sugar snacks in mid-afternoon. Research can explain these results.
Research can also tell us about the opposite. There are foods to help our sleep and snacks to increase our mid-day productivity. Choosing a better alternative would allow me to take a break and eat without negative consequences.
- Raw carrots can steady the level of blood sugar for your brain
- Whole wheat bread cuts down on the spike in blood sugar
- Pumpkin seeds & nuts supply needed brain nutrients like zinc and fatty acids
- Cranberries, blueberries & strawberries protect the brain with antioxidants
- Cheese boosts amino acids for the brain
- Yogurt helps your neurotransmitters
- Hot chocolate adds more antioxidants
OnlineColleges.Net has put together a great list of 100 Foods that Make You Smarter, Happier, and More Productive. In addition to the above, the following are their suggestions for a more productive You.
They have also cataloged food to improve Alertness and Memory as well as those Foods to Avoid.
Next time you are reaching for a snack or a treat, think about what will also tie in with improving your time management and organizing skills in the office. Added bonuses are that you will actually feel better and your physical health will be boosted.