- China Slowdown Continues As HSBC PMI Hits 48.0
March 31 2014 10:15 PM
China's manufacturing engine contracted in the first quarter of 2014, a private survey showed Tuesday, adding to market expectations of government stimulus to arrest a loss of momentum in the world's second-largest economy this year.
- Timber! Logging Ban Sounds Good, But May Not Work
March 31 2014 2:37 PM
Although it's a start, Myanmar's new export ban alone won't be enough to stop unaccountable forest resource cutting, hoarding and exporting.
- Why An Indonesia Fuel Subsidy Reduction Is Possible
March 28 2014 11:47 AM
Despite prior predictions, recent political developments have made a reduction likely.
- China's Latest Shortage: Not Enough Visas For Wealthy
March 28 2014 11:04 AM
Last year, 80 percent of the United States' EB-5 permits were issued to Chinese nationals.
- Bangladesh Airline Gets Boeings, But Profitability Is Elusive
March 28 2014 6:54 AM
Biman is reputedly plagued with many problems, including poor customer service, delayed flights and schedule disruptions.
- China's Reasons For Adopting US-Style Law
March 28 2014 5:07 AM
In Asia, only Japan has signed intergovernmental deals to be FATCA-compliant while banks say compliance would be a costly exercise.
- Putin's Crimea Grab Seen Backfiring
March 27 2014 11:31 PM
Russia's economy could fall into recession for the first time since the 2008 global financial crisis.
- China's Tricky Balancing Act
March 25 2014 12:47 PM
Some analysts believe recent data weakness warrants a policy response. But a short-term boost would come at a cost. Here's why.
- Emerging Market Stocks - Next Asset Class For The Hot Money?
March 25 2014 9:43 AM
Emerging market stocks represent startling good value for those willing to brave geopolitical risk, according to a New York investment bank.
- Popcorn Profit! China's Film Boom Boosts Sales Of Classic Movie Snack
March 21 2014 12:02 PM
One thing where China is just like America? Popcorn at the movies. And huge profits from them.
- Would You Live In One Of These China Cities?
March 20 2014 6:21 AM
As another Chinese property developer faces collapse, several large scale construction projects will be left unfinished.
- Why China, India Struck Deal To Work Together In Various Sectors
March 19 2014 7:32 AM
The two Asian giants are targeting $100 billion in bilateral trade by 2015 while China’s trade surplus with India last year was about $39 billion.
- Japan Trade Deficit Narrows, But Still Worse Than Forecast
March 18 2014 9:02 PM
An import rush before a sales tax hike takes effect is one factor blamed for the persistent deficit.
- Nikon, Apple, McDonald's Escape Unscathed From China Consumer Rights Report Ordeal
March 18 2014 4:58 PM
Yearly Chinese TV reports targeting international companies are often a headache, but this year the big Western brands got off lightly.
- The Collapse Of A Chinese Property Developer
March 18 2014 1:10 PM
The risk is particularly high in third- and fourth-tier cities. When the U.S. property bubble burst, prices didn't collapse in New York but instead in places like Orlando and Las Vegas, one economist explained.
- Why Are Hong Kong's Millionaires Leaving?
March 18 2014 12:54 PM
Many of Hong Kong's older and richer millionaires, in particular, are keen to leave.
- Here's How Silver May Fare Under China's War On Pollution
March 13 2014 11:19 AM
The outlook for silver prices in relation to China’s giant solar panel industry is slightly bullish, but there are several unknowns.
- China Retail Sales, Production Data Disappoint
March 13 2014 2:59 AM
Earlier, Premier Li Keqiang had expressed confidence about the Chinese economy in his address to the National People’s Congress.
- Here's Why This Thai Political Strife Is Particularly Bad
March 12 2014 6:21 AM
In a weak and still recovering global economy, Thailand can't count on external factors to rescue its economy.
- The Little-Known Relationship Between China's Shadow Banking Sector And Copper
March 11 2014 10:40 AM
Up to half of China’s warehoused copper may be used in informal financing deals as collateral.