- “It’s time really to close this old chapter and start a new one.”
- A lawsuit striking at the heart of the market for credit default swaps has led to a $1.87 billion settlement to be paid by the biggest banks on Wall Street.
- Every day, another 300 refugees arrive in Berlin. Despite the lengthy waits they face, they're happy to be there.
- Hungary previously said stronger immigration laws there would take effect Sept. 15, and EU states have continued to look for financial solutions to the crisis.
- Europe will face steep immediate costs to care for its newest arrivals. But in the long term, refugees could be an economic boost.
- The number of working-age people in the European Union has been shrinking compared with those retiring.
- Leaders have trimmed 17 treatments from a list of medicines eligible for coverage.