- Existing Home Sales, Durable Goods, China PMI: Economic Events For May 21 - 25
May 21 2012 9:21 AM
This week's economic calendar is relatively light in the U.S. with the releases of existing home sales, durable goods orders, and the University of Michigan consumer confidence survey. Attention will likely focus on data out of Europe. Euro zone PMIs, Germany IFO survey, and first-quarter gross domestic product data for the U.K. will be released.
- Falling Indian Rupee: Finance Minister Says Government Is Trying to Resolve The Issue
May 20 2012 9:01 AM
Indian Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee Sunday expressed concern over the depreciation of the rupee.
- Air India Likely To Hire Retired Pilots, Government Mulls Over Implementing Panel Report
May 19 2012 5:35 AM
Air India is planning to hire retired pilots for flying international routes even as a strike by a group of pilots entered the 12th day Saturday.
- Facebook IPO: Biggest Tech IPO Ever Soars 10% But Closes With A Whimper
May 18 2012 11:07 AM
Shares of Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), the No. 1 social network that raised $16 billion in its initial public offering, the biggest in Internet history, soared more than 10 percent but closed up by only a fraction.
- Air India To Get First Boeing 787 Dreamliner Amid Pilots? Strike
May 18 2012 8:35 AM
Air India is poised to get its first installment of Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft by the end of this month even as the crisis in the national carrier, caused by the pilots, continues.
- Facebook Prices IPO Shares At $38; Values Company At Record $104 Billion
May 17 2012 4:20 PM
Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), the No. 1 social network, raised $16 billion in its initial public offering, the biggest in Internet history, valuing its shares at $38.
- U.S. Ready To Strike Iran: Ambassador To Israel
May 17 2012 9:42 AM
Israeli leaders Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and defense minister Ehud Barak have long taken a hawkish stance against Iran.
- Afghanistan Demands $4.1 Billion A Year; Plans To Sell Islamic Bonds
May 17 2012 4:33 AM
Afghanistan, bracing for a potential sharp decline in financial support from the West amid fears of a fresh military offensive by the Taliban insurgents, has demanded $4.1 billion a year for its security forces after the foreign troops pull out in 2014, ahead of the NATO summit starting Sunday.
- Global Losses From Greek Euro Zone Exit Could Reach ?1 Trillion
May 16 2012 3:56 PM
The financial markets appear to have already priced in Greece?s departure from the euro bloc.
- Huge Demand Prompts Facebook To Sell More Shares In IPO
May 16 2012 8:49 AM
Surging demand for shares of Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), the No. 1 social network, prompted the company to again boost the number of share for sale in its initial public offering.
- US May Export Shale Oil To India As New Delhi Seeks To Cut Crude Imports From Iran
May 15 2012 2:19 PM
India imports crude oil from about 30 nations.
- Indian Stocks Fall On Greek Political Crisis, High Inflation
May 14 2012 8:20 AM
Bombay Stock Exchange's Sensex lost more than 100 points Monday afternoon trade as the slump in European markets and a worse-than-expected inflation for April hit the markets hard.
- SEC 'Probably' Drafting JPMorgan Subpoenas: Former Agent
May 11 2012 4:57 PM
U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission investigators are probably in the process of drafting subpoenas against JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM), if they have not already filed them, regarding the bank's loss of $2 billion through proprietary trading, said ex-SEC New York Regional assistant director Joseph Dever.
- Qatar Sovereign Fund On Buying Spree: Royal Dutch Shell, Xstrata, Eni, Total
May 11 2012 9:54 AM
The Qatar Investment Authority (QIA) is on an investment spree, bulking up its holdings in several major companies including Royal Dutch Shell Plc (NYSE: RDS.A), Eni SpA (NYSE: E), and Xstrata PLC (London: XTA), and the sovereign fund has already taken a holding Total SA (NYSE: TOT) and is pursuing avenues to invest in Glencore International Plc (London: GLEN), sources reported Friday.
- Respite From Euro Jitters, US Jobs Bolster Stocks: Daily Markets Wrap
May 10 2012 4:14 PM
New Labor Department data suggests a strong start to jobs growth in January may not get wiped out by negative growth heading into the third quarter.
- Microsoft Going ?Carbon Neutral? On July 1
May 10 2012 4:03 PM
Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT), the world's biggest software company, said it will go ?carbon neutral? on July 1, the start of its new fiscal year.
- Algerian Parliamentary Election Marred By Voter Apathy, Despite Promises Of Fairness, Transparency
May 10 2012 11:19 AM
The government is also permitting about 500 foreign observers, including 120 from the European Union, to monitor the elections.
- Spain, Greece Send Buyers To German, US Bonds: Daily Markets Wrap
May 09 2012 4:17 PM
Anti-austerity momentum in Greece continued to weigh down markets with the prospect of the country defaulting or leaving the euro. Spain?s Ibex 35 Index lost 3 percent, led by bank stocks, while its 10-year yields rose more than 6 percent over banking-sector concerns.
- Indian Shares Close Down, Gold Hits Four Month Low, Eurozone Crisis Weighs
May 09 2012 9:51 AM
Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) sensex closed at a four month low by shedding nearly 67 points on Wednesday as weak global trends triggered heavy fund outflows. The BSE bench mark 30 share index lost 66.60 points to reach 16,479.59, dragged down by sharp declines in Reliance industry and banking stocks. Reliance Industries dropped for the sixth day by losing 1.91 per cent to Rs 695.10 after it cut the estimates for actual natural gas reserves available in its Indian blocks.
- India Explains To US Why It Needs Iran
May 08 2012 10:24 AM
India Tuesday conveyed to the US that it has to look at the Western sanctions on Iran beyond the issue of energy, as it has critical stakes in the region.