I've had a limit buy order out for Equinix (EQIX) for many months now; the price I was seeking now looking foolish. Talk about a perfect chart.
We talked about this sector, and stock in particular in July [Jul 29, 2009: Guest Post - Colocation Stocks and Industry Overview] and the stocks were expensive then, and have only become more so. Equinix last night reported earnings, and announced an agreement to buy out one of the other names cited in that story - Switch & Data Facilities (SDXC). SDXC is up a cool 29% this AM.
First let's touch on the deal
- Equinix (EQIX) said it agreed to buy Switch & Data Facilities Co. (SDXC) for $689 million in cash and stock. Equinix said the deal with strengthen its position in the data center services market, adding 16 new markets across North America. The deal will add 34 data centers in 22 markets in U.S, and Canada, with more than 1 million gross feet of added data center capacity.
- Terms call for SXDC holders to choose to receive either 0.19409 shares of EQIX common stock or $19.06 in cash for each Switch & Data share. The overall consideration will be 80% in EQIX common and 20% in cash.
Equinix results for the quarter
- Third-quarter net income rose to $18.8 million, or 47 cents a share, from $5.6 million, or 15 cents a share, a year earlier. Revenue rose 24 percent to $227.6 million.
- Analysts expected earnings of 30 cents a share, excluding exceptional items, on revenue of $224.1 million.
- For 2009, Equinix now expects total revenue of $875 million to $880 million. In July, it had forecast revenue of $860 million to $875 million.
Full report here.
No position... still