Take your meal planning to the next level with some of these delicious choices, full of fall color and flavor and guaranteed to satisfy.
- Apples - portable, packable and full of endless possibilities, apples are full of fiber and low in calories.There are literally hundreds of varieties available - I wait all year to be able to enjoy Honeycrisp apples. Top whole grain waffles with sliced apples, or send them in a lunch box with peanut butter for dipping. Or for a twist, add them to a Caramel Apple Milkshake!
- Pears - also full of fiber, pears have endless uses. Enjoy a Blue Cheese and Pear Salad to maximize the absorption of Vitamin C.
- Acorn Squash - Known for its bright color and incredible storage time, Acorn Squash is enjoyable simply sliced in half and baked, but is also delicious stuffed.
- Butternut Squash - A rich source of Vitamins A and C, Butternut Squash is delicious baked with a sprinkle of brown sugar or extra special in a White Bean Butternut Squash Ragout with Polenta Squares.
- Pumpkin - most commonly known as the Halloween Fruit, pumpkin is full of beta carotene. Often found in pie, pumpkin can also be served in pancakes, muffins and even smoothies.
- Sweet Potatoes - high in Vitamins A and C, sweet potatoes are delicious baked and topped with cinnamon, in baked fries or even as an ingredient in a healthy and delicious burger.
- Broccoli - Available year round, Broccoli is at it's best in the fall. Full of beta-carotene and Vitamin C, it is classified as a SuperFood. Delicious steamed and topped with lemon juice, it's also a great addition to a salad and make for a great addition to a baked potato bar.