If you live outside the United States, facilities that offer cancer treatment may be located in or near your country. Cancer information services are available in many countries to provide information and answer questions about cancer; they may also be able to help you find a cancer treatment facility close to where you live. A list of these cancer information services is available on the International Cancer Information Service Group's (ICISG) Website at http://www.icisg.org/meet_memberslist.htm on the Internet. A list may also be requested by writing to the NCI Public Inquiries Office at:

Address:Cancer Information Service
Room 3036A, MSC 8322
6116 Executive Boulevard
Bethesda, MD 20892-8322

The ICISG is an independent international organization composed of cancer information services. Their mission is to provide high-quality cancer information services and resources to those concerned about, or affected by, cancer throughout the world.

The International Union Against Cancer (UICC) is another resource for people living outside the United States who want to find a cancer treatment facility. The UICC consists of international cancer-related organizations devoted to the worldwide fight against cancer. UICC membership includes research facilities and treatment centers and, in some countries, ministries of health. Other members include volunteer cancer leagues, associations, and societies. These organizations serve as resources for the public and may have helpful information about cancer and treatment facilities. To find a resource in or near your country, contact the UICC at:

Address:International Union Against Cancer (UICC)
62 route de Frontenex
1207 Geneva
Telephone:+ 41 22 809 1811
Web site:http://www.uicc.org

Some people living outside the United States may wish to obtain a second opinion or have their cancer treatment in this country. Many facilities in the United States offer these services to international cancer patients. These facilities may also provide support services, such as language interpretation, assistance with travel, and guidance in finding accommodations near the treatment facility for patients and their families.

If you live outside the United States and would like to obtain cancer treatment in this country, you should contact cancer treatment facilities directly to find out whether they have an international patient office. The NCI-Designated Cancer Centers database (described above in the section Finding a Doctor) offers contact information for NCI-designated cancer centers throughout the United States. This database is located at http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/NCI/cancer-centers on the Internet.

Citizens of other countries who are planning to travel to the United States for cancer treatment generally must first obtain a nonimmigrant visa for medical treatment from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country. Visa applicants must demonstrate that the purpose of their trip is to enter the United States for medical treatment; that they plan to remain for a specific, limited period; that they have funds to cover expenses in the United States; that they have a residence and social and economic ties outside the United States; and that they intend to return to their home country.

To determine the specific fees and documentation required for the nonimmigrant visa and to learn more about the application process, contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country. A list of links to the Web sites of U.S. Embassies and Consulates worldwide can be found at http://usembassy.gov on the Internet.

More information about nonimmigrant visa services is available on the U.S. Department of State's Web site at http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/temp_1305.html on the Internet.