Florida houses 12 of the best 50 hospitals in the country, followed by Ohio with seven, a new survey has found.
The America's 50 Best Hospitals for 2011 report released by Denver-based HealthGrades Inc. said patients, on average, treated at these hospitals had a nearly 30 percent lower risk of death and 3 percent lower rate of complications.
The study by HealthGrades, which evaluates doctors, hospitals and nursing homes, found that if all U.S. hospitals had performed at this level, more than a half million Medicare deaths between 1999 and 2009 could have been prevented.
HealthGrades America’s 50 Best hospitals, which are located in 28 cities in 19 states, showed superior and sustained clinical quality over an eleven year time period, based on an analysis of more than 140 million Medicare patient records.
To be recognized with this elite distinction, hospitals must have had risk-adjusted mortality and complication rates that were in the top 5 percent in the nation for the most consecutive years.
As our nation searches for a solution to providing Americans with access to high quality health care at an affordable price, these hospitals are setting the standard, demonstrating that consistent, sustainable clinical excellence is achievable, says Rick May, HealthGrades vice president of clinical quality services and co-author of the report.
HealthGrades America’s 50 Best Hospitals for 2011:
* Franklin Square Hospital Center* Greater Baltimore Medical Center* Good Samaritan Hospital
Cedar Rapids, IA
* Saint Luke’s Hospital Cedar
* Memorial Healthcare System
* Evanston Hospital including: Highland Park Hospital and Glenbrook Hospital* Skokie Hospital* Alexian Brothers Medical Center* Community Hospital
* St. Elizabeth Edgewood* Christ Hospital
* Summa Akron City and St. Thomas Hospitals* Akron General Medical Center* Marymount Hospital* Hillcrest Hospital
Colorado Springs, CO
* Centura Health - Penrose St. Francis Health Services
* Grandview Medical Center
* Saint Mary Mercy Hospital* Beaumont Hospital - Royal Oak, MI* Beaumont Hospital – Troy, MI
* Hamot Medical Center
* Mercy Medical Center
* Genesys Regional Medical Center
* Lancaster General Hospital
* Memorial Hermann Healthcare System – Southwest including: Memorial Hermann Northwest Hospital, Memorial Hermann Southeast Hospital, Memorial Hermann the Woodlands Hospital.
* Flagler Hospital Saint
Los Angeles, CA
* Glendale Memorial Hospital and Health Center* Saint John's Health Center
New York, NY
* Hackensack University Medical Center* Community Medical Center
* Munroe Regional Medical Center* Central Florida Regional Hospital* Ocala Regional Medical Center/West Marion Hospital
Panama City, FL
* Bay Medical Center
* St. Luke's Hospital - Bethlehem Campus including: St. Luke's Hospital - Allentown Campus* Lehigh Valley Hospital Allentown PA
* Banner Del E. Webb Medical Center* Mayo Clinic Hospital
* Rex Hospital
* Henrico Doctors' Hospital including: Parham Doctors' Hospital and Retreat Doctors' Hospital
St. Louis, MO
* St. Luke's Hospital
* Sarasota Memorial Hospital
Traverse City, MI
* Munson Medical Center
W. Palm Beach, FL
* Martin Memorial Medical Center* Boca Raton Regional Hospital* Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center* Lawnwood Regional Medical Center and Heart Institute* Jupiter Medical Center* Delray Medical Center
Wilkes Barre, PA
* Mercy Hospital Scranton