Forex Technical Update July 20, 2010 EUR/GBP: Double Top Action Suggests a Correction
- 1H: The EUR/GBP has been very bullish. The higher time-frame outlook can be found in yesterday's update (EUR/GBP 7.19.2010). Today however, I will follow the pair in a shorter time-frame. Even though it will be bearish, keep in mind the bullish implications seen in the higher time-frame. If the near-term bearish scenario looks to extend, then we may start adjusting the higher time-frame outlook.
- In fact it appears we are seeing impulse bullish waves, so we may expect a 3-wave down if the current double top seen in the 1H chart forms. It appears most likely about to form if the 0.8485 line is broken cleanly.
- A near-term target is the 0.84270 area, which is 50% retracement. This would follow Elliott Wave guidelines for a correction of an impulse wave that started with the first upswing on July 15. You can see that we have just finished a 3rd wave up. The guideline for a correction is one somewhere back towards the 3rd wave, and 50% retracement.
- So accordingly, a near-term projection for the current decline from a double top is 0.8430/0.8420. Be aware that a positive reversal may be forming (the RSI low is already lower than the previous, but the price has yet to reach the previous low at 0.8420 area.
- However if this is a more major correction, there is some more room to go lower as the 4H chart shows.
- 4H: Here in the 4H chart, you can see that the 0.8430 area is 23.6% retracement of the entire upswing since June 29. I am not sure if this rally is an impulse wave because I don't see the wave 3 clearly. In fact if I fit a wave 3 in the middle, it appears that wave 1 and wave 5 are the sharpest, not an ideal impulse wave.
- In anycase, we do see that for this swing, 50% is near 0.8300. This is the more aggressive target, if the 0.8430/20 support breaks.
- However, if the market does not even reach 0.8430, we can see in the 1H chart that a positive reversal would be forming and suggest continuation rally.
Fan Yang Currency Analyst Commodity Trading Advisor
Information and opinions contained in this report are for educational purposes only and do not constitute an investment advice. While the information contained herein was obtained from sources believed to be reliable, author does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness. FXTimes will not accept liability for any loss of profit or damage which may arise directly, indirectly or consequently from use of or reliance on the trading set-ups or any accompanying chart analyses.
All screenshots are made from VT Trader 2.0 and are of actual market data at the time of the screenshot.