Forex Technical Update August 13, 2010
USD/JPY - Assessing the Reversal Scenario
- 1H: The USD/JPY is behaving as anticipated during this week's the Chartist Corner Strategy Session. Basically, a possible count was developed, and we were in wave 3 on Thursday. Wave 3 however has not finished its impulse until today.
- The projection for wave 3 was 161.8% expansion of wave 1, which was 86.12 area. The market reached 86.20 and declined, possibly now into wave 4.
- If the market is to have a successful reversal, it should not break below 85.40, since wave 4 should not cross wave 1. If it does, this is not an impulse wave and therefore not the start of a bullish attempt.
- The RSI should also stay above 40.
- Let's look at the daily and weekly.
- Daily and Weekly: The daily shows a reversal candlestick combination this week as the market hammers at the 84.80 low, shared by the low in Dec 2009. The market is channeling down. There is a small and a large channel. The smaller channel has resistance near 61.8% retracement of the latest downswing which is the 86.88 area.
- That is a confirming sign for USD/JPY bulls. However, there is a significant resistance zone in 88.00/88.60.
- This is the area just above the larger channel resistance. The 50-period simple moving average is also near the channel resistance.
- The cluster of resistance factors includes 38.2% retracement at 88.68, and previous support, now tested as resistance. This is more clearly seen in the weekly chart.
- The USD/JPY is an example of a pair that is in a long stretched bullish divergence. However, each time the RSI in the weekly tests the 60 area, the price level was successively lower.
- This type of action is called the negative reversal, and suggests there is further bearish action. In my opinion this suggests further exhaustion as well. That means, its only a matter of time when this divergence does eventually materialize into bullish momentum.
- There is a short-term bullish bias in my opinion towards 88/88.60. But if that breaks, the market can rally to the 91.00 area.
- This should be a very pivotal point for the long-term view of USD/JPY since the wedge we are in would then finish 5 waves (a possible complete count of the pattern, or else 7 waves.)
Commodity Trading Advisor
Information and opinions contained in this report are for educational purposes only and do not constitute an investment advice. While the information contained herein was obtained from sources believed to be reliable, author does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness. FXTimes will not accept liability for any loss of profit or damage which may arise directly, indirectly or consequently from use of or reliance on the trading set-ups or any accompanying chart analyses.
All screenshots are made from VT Trader 2.0 and are of actual market data at the time of the screenshot.