Today’s US Dollar Trading

• USD two sided, ends flat-to-mixed

• Reverses early weakness

• Traders waiting for tomorrow’s data

Overnight Preview

• Expect consolidation.

• USD likely to range trade on light volumes ahead of data tomorrow

Looking Ahead to Wednesday

All times EASTERN (-5 GMT)

• 9:00 AM CDT Pending Home Sales forecast -0.6%, Look for weak housing data.


Aside from some early fireworks on the sell side this morning the USD was relatively subdued for most of New York trade. Starting slowly in Asia overnight as the last day of Golden Week slowed the pace of early action the USD remained two-sided in technical trade until New York got underway. A stop-fest in the USD/CAD as early USD weakness spilled over into all the pairs; the majors all rallying into resistance with stops the other side for almost everybody creating a near-term break in the Greenback. Loonie sliding under the 1.0050 area and finding lots of action as expected, low prints at .9996 on the second attempt at par. After the lows in USD/JPY and the highs in EURO and GBP all held resistance the USD mounted a turnaround that extended a full handle higher in Swissy and back through the opening ranges in the other pairs. On the day the USD has put in a buying wick in most pairs suggesting that today’s early weakness was only weak shorts. GBP managed a high print at 1.9775 just barely above the 1.9750 pivot area before falling back to trade through the opening range at 1.9725; Cable looks set up for a rotation lower as the EURO also failed and these two are trading in sympathy together. EURO highs at 1.5596 attracted a lot of active offers once the stops were cleared traders say; the rate stays positive on the day but with a long wick at resistance. Across the board the volumes were modest as traders complained of thin conditions due to the various minor holidays this week. With no real news on the boards today the action today is most likely random noise between existing S/R levels; most agree the recent USD strength has a bit more to go before a correction so possibly today was an opportunity to get long from some recent lows. In my view, the USD closed higher than I would like to see for an extended correction and I suggest getting out of USD/JPY shorts and waiting on selling the Greenback until after the news is out tomorrow. Price action is always correct and the drop today needed to stay under pressure if the fire was out of the rally but due to the swift turnaround in thin conditions I think the USD has a bit more to go to the upside yet.

Analysis by: written by Jason Alan Jankovsky


Trading Futures and Options on Futures and Cash Forex transactions involves substantial risk of loss and may not be suitable for all investors. You should carefully consider whether trading is suitable for you in light of your circumstances, knowledge, and financial resources. You may lose all or more of your initial investment. Opinions, market data, and recommendations are subject to change at any time.