Formula One World champion Sebastian Vettel signed a two year contract extension with Red Bull, which will keep him with the team till the end of 2014.

It is a sign of intent from Red Bull as they consider the 23-yar-old one of the greatest on the grid.

Mercedes and Ferrari were linked with the young German, but this development puts an end to the speculation.

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner told BBC Sport, Sebastian feels very comfortable within the team and the team feels very comfortable with him. We started to talk about it earlier in the year and it came together quickly.

It's good to have it done and tidied up prior to the beginning of the season - rumors had already started about other teams. We were keen to take away that distraction and concentrate on the racing.

Horner went on to give minor details of the contract, saying there was no break clauses in the contract and confirmed that it was solid until the end of 2014.

He's been with Red Bull since 1998, so it was a logical thing to do, he said. It was a straightforward and quick discussion.

Vettel's team-mate Mark Webber, who came in third in the drivers championships last season, has a contract which will expire at the end of the 2011 season. However, the 34-year-old Australian admitted he not yet thought about his future post this year.

The 2011 Formula One season will start on March 27 with the Australian Grand Prix, after the Bahrain Grand Prix on March 13 was cancelled due to unrest in the nation.