Amnesty International’s Friendship Week begins Monday and runs through Friday, and this year it is aimed at building connections with people in other countries in the midst of the ongoing Syrian refugee crisis. The week is a good reminder to people of all ages the important role friendship plays in daily life.
Friendship Week was created by teachers and has been used as a way to teach young students how to reach out to each other instead of bullying. In celebration of Friendship Week, reach out to a friend you haven’t talked to recently, or try and make a new friend at work or school. To get inspired, check out the quotes below about friendship, courtesy of Goodreads and BrainyQuote.
1. “I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.” – Helen Keller
2. “What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies.” – Aristotle
3. “I think if I've learned anything about friendship, it's to hang in, stay connected, fight for them, and let them fight for you. Don't walk away, don't be distracted, don't be too busy or tired, don't take them for granted. Friends are part of the glue that holds life and faith together. Powerful stuff.” – Jon Katz
4. “ ‘Why did you do all this for me?' he asked. 'I don't deserve it. I've never done anything for you.' 'You have been my friend,' replied Charlotte. 'That in itself is a tremendous thing.’ ” – E.B. White, “Charlotte’s Web”
5. “A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.” – Elbert Hubbard
6. “I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.” – Walt Whitman
7. “The only way to have a friend is to be one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
8. “Friends show their love in times of trouble, not in happiness.” – Euripides
9. “A friend is what the heart needs all the time.” – Henry van Dyke
10. “Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.” – Oprah Winfrey