An extended trailer for the sixth highly anticipated sequel in the “Fast and Furious” series was released Thursday, less than one month before “Furious 7” drives into theaters nationwide. Familiar faces like Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Ludacris, Tyrese Gibson and Paul Walker are back in the driver’s seat. But wait, there’s more! Joining the family for “Furious 7” are British baddie Jason Statham, former “Death Proof” driver Kurt Russell and rapper Iggy Azalea making her feature film debut.
The new extended trailer is mostly devoted to the main gang’s latest stunt but it has a few quick surprises in the last minute. Here are six moments from the new trailer to watch out for:
1. The best aerial stunt in the series. Who cares why the crew is air-dropping expensive muscle cars from a plane? What counts is that film history now has the image of Ludacris, Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez flying in the air – with their cars.
2. More Paul Walker. After the death of one of the franchise’s stars, the cast and crew decided to honor his memory by including his character, Brian O'Conner. The production stuck with the footage they had shot of Walker and used leftovers from the previous film “Fast & Furious 6,” body doubles and CGI to keep Brian in the film.
3. Poor Tyrese Gibson. His character, Roman Pearce, is always the butt of Tej Parker’s (Ludacris) teasing, and the trailer is no exception. When Roman attempts to back out of the big car air drop at the last second, the tech-savvy Tej intervenes the best way he knows.
4. The gang cleans up nicely. At about the 2:23 mark, there’s a moment where the stars of “Furious 7” looks like extras in a James Bond film. Will we get a casino scene in Dubai? Will Statham get to play a Bond villain? Let me get my martini!
5. Family is going to play a very big part in “Furious 7.” This theme is going to be driven home probably more so than in the previous movies. The family is saying goodbye to one of their own, Brian, who has been in the story since the beginning. There are a lot of shots showing the group as a team.
6. Vin Diesel vs. Jason Statham. A fight scene with lead pipes already makes for pretty intense choreography, but in the hands of these two action veterans, it looks like a Transformers-size showdown. Bring it on.
“Furious 7” hits theaters Friday, April 3.