“Galavant” is making a triumphant return to ABC. The musical comedy follows a knight, Galavant (Joshua Sasse), on a quest to reunite with his love, Princess Isabella (Karen David). Despite lackluster ratings, the show has been brought back for a second season, and they’re pulling out all the stops to make the 2016 season even better than last year's. Check out what you should know about Season 2 know before tuning in:
1. New Careers – After a shipwreck leaves Galavant and King Richard (Timothy Omundson) to travel by foot, they end up at the Enchanted Forest Pub in West Hollow-wood. But they don’t get to sit down and relax. “They are forced into working there by the owner, who sees Galavant in a different light,” the synopsis reveals.
2. Guest Stars – The comedy is bringing on more unexpected guest stars this season. “Downton Abbey” actor Hugh Bonneville will return, and Tony Award-winner Robert Lindsay will appear. Australian pop star Kylie Minogue will also visit. Check out a sneak-peek video featuring one of her musical numbers below:
— Galavant (@GalavantABC) January 3, 2016
3. Richard’s New Quest – Richard won’t just be a sidekick. He’ll have his own journey in Season 2. “It certainly starts out as ‘Richard and Galavant, the buddy comedy season,’” Omundson told Zap2It. “But Richard gets a big quest of his own in a way. I join Galavant’s quest, and then Galavant helps me join my quest.”
4. The Soundtrack – Much of what Galavant fans love is the music. Expect more catchy, hilarious tunes because composer Alan Menken and lyricist Glenn Slater, who wrote the Season 1 soundtrack, have returned to pen Season 2’s tunes.
5. Madalena and Gareth’s Troubles – When Madalena (Mallory Jansen) and Gareth (Vinnie Jones) decided to be King and Queen, they may not have thought it through. The couple will have some growing pains as they move in. “Gareth is moving his stuff into the throne room and she doesn’t like that, so they’re trying to find some kind of peace,” executive producer John Hoberg told TVLine. “As they go through that, we’re trying to do ‘Mad About You’ with the two most evil people you could find.”
6. More Naughty Humor – The show is on broadcast television, but they’ll push their limits as far as the humor goes. Hoberg revealed that they even had to cut a song because it was just too inappropriate. “The most bawdy moment of the season is the thing that ABC wouldn’t let us air,” Hoberg explained. “It was a song that Alan and Glenn wrote called “Your Mother Is a W----,” which is the funniest thing I’ve ever heard in my life.”
7. It’s Meta – “Galavant” Season 2 starts off by getting very self-aware and breaking the fourth wall in the opening number. Watch below:
“Galavant” Season 2 premieres Sunday at 8 p.m. EST on ABC.