Gamescom 2012 is officially under way, with press conferences from two of the biggest names in the video game industry already finished. Capcom and Electronic Arts have showcased their current projects in the works, but there are still two days left of the European interactive entertainment trade fair.
Unlike E3, which kicked off the summer in early June, Gamescom is open to both the public and the press, and is designed to have something for everyone. Held at the Koelnmesse in Cologne, Germany, the Gamescom entertainment area spans six different buildings, creating a sprawling campus of interactive entertainment and gaming. Attendees will find the speakers' corner located on the campus, where panels on topics such as discussions on the media and the protection of minors will be held.
The Gamescom 2012 grounds also house an area known as Gamescom Camp, where attendees camp out Bonnaroo-style to catch every moment of the festivities.
But the most important aspect of course is the keynote speeches from video game industry big shots. Here is the lineup of what to expect in the coming days.
Events for August 14, 2012
- Capcom press conference at 11 a.m. local time ( 5 a.m. ET)
- Electronic Arts press conference at 4 p.m. local time ( 10 a.m. ET)
- Sony press conference 7 p.m. local time ( 1 p.m. ET)
Events for August 15, 2012
- Ubisoft press conference at 3 p.m. local time (9 a.m. ET). Top executives from the company will be revealing new free-to-play titles that will be set in the universe of some of Ubisoft's most popular titles, according to The Verge. There is also said to be news on the company's plans for eSports and other developing online game spaces.
- The world premiere of "Call of Duty: Black Ops 2" multiplayer will be unveiled at Gamescom 2012. This will be streamed live from the show on Xbox Live throughout Europe, the United States and Canada at 6 p.m. local time (12 p.m. ET).
Events for August 17, 2012
- Blizzard will be debuting the opening cinematic for the "World of Warcraft" upcoming expansions "Mists of Pandaria." This will take place at 2 p.m. local time (8 a.m. ET).
The rest of the festival, which runs through Aug. 19, gives attendees free time to reflect on the keynotes and enjoy the festivities. In addition to the speeches and press conferences, gamers will be able to check out various public booths.
So what should fans expect? Here is what will be featured in Ubisoft's booth following the company's keynote.
- "Assassin's Creed 3." Players will get some hands-on gameplay time with the next installment in Ubisoft's widely-popular stealth-action franchise.
- "Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation." This is the next "Assassin's Creed" experience to come to the PlayStation Vita, and will take place in the same universe as "Assassin's Creed 3." It is in this title that fans will see their first female protagonist in the series.
- "Far Cry 3." A preview of this action adventure title will also be available at Ubisoft's Gamescom booth.
- "Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online." Fans can check out the free-to-play first person shooter taking place in the Tom Clancy universe.
- "Shootmania: Storm." This fast-paced online first-person shooter will also be featured at the booth.
Wii U Titles From Ubisoft
- "Rabbids Land." This is a Wii U exclusive party game where the Rabbids take control of an amusement park, and will be available for gamers at Ubisoft's booth.
- "Rayman Legends." The new social platformer available for the Wii U will be featured at Ubisoft's booth also.
- "Sports Connection." A Wii U collection of interactive sports.
- "Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013." A world of fitness gameplay coming to the Wii U.
- "ZombiU." A survival horror first-person shooter coming to the Wii U.
Check out the official trailer for Gamescom 2012 below.