The trial of George Huguely continued into its sixth day as prosecutors and defense attorneys questioned the medical examiner who inspected Yeardley Love's body.

Prosecutors painted a picture of a violent struggle between the University of Virginia lacrosse players who were both 22 at the time of the incident. A police official testified that Huguely had cuts on his knuckles and bruises on his arms when he was arrested, reported CBS.

The assistant medical examiner, Bill Gormely, told the court that he discovered Love was badly bruised on her chest, knuckles, forearms, lower back, buttocks and upper thighs, reported ABC.  He said bruises on her lips and cuts on her cheek could be a sign of smothering. He could not specify how he had she could have suffocated, however, hemorrhaging found under neck could have reflected intense pressure

Dissection of soft tissue under Love's neck showed hemorrhaging that suggests pressure of blunt force trauma, Gormley said, according to ABC. However, he said that smothering did not cause Love to die.

 During police questioning, Huguely said that he had shook is on-again-off-again girlfriend several times. He maintained that nothing he did could have led to her death.

Huguely's attorney, Rhonda Quagliania questioned the medical examiner, suggested that Love's injuries could have come from a fall on the carpet or bedroom and not from Huguely hitting her head on a wall as the prosecution suggested.  The defense also said that medication could have caused the swelling which the medical examiner also said was possible, according to CBS.

Last week, Huguely's former teammates described he was drinking heavily four times a week and with such intensity, that they were planning to hold an intervention, reported the Washington Post.

Michael Burns, a student of University of North Carolina who was attending a party in Charlottesville in February 2010 at an apartment complex where Huguely lived, testified that he heard a woman screaming for help.

When he opened the door, Burns allegedly saw Huguely strangling Love. When Burns was spotted, Huguely released her.

She just said, 'Thank you so much,'  said Burns, reported the Washington Post. She also said she couldn't breathe. She was hysterically crying.

The pair had a tumultuous relationship for two years. Prosecutors claimed that they accused each other infidelity during the months preceding the alleged murder. Three days before Love was killed, Huguely also allegedly sent emails to his ex-girlfriend in which he said:

When I found out about Mike Burns, I should have killed you, reported the Daily Mail. Prosecutors released that email to prove he intended to cause Love harm.

Burns testified that the two were not romantically linked, but had gotten together for a few hookups, reported the Washington Post.

On the night of May 2, 2010, an inebriated Huguely arrived at Love's apartment. After a tense argument, he allegedly beat her and hit her head against the wall.

No way anything I did last night could have killed her, Huguely told police in a videotaped interview, according to the Washington Post.