Glass Onion Catering is recalling about 182,000 pounds of its ready-to-eat salads and sandwich wrap products for fear of possible E.coli contamination, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service, or FSIS, said in a statement on Sunday.
According to the statement, the company is recalling grilled chicken and ham salads after 26 people reported sick with E.coli infection after eating the products in Washington, California and Arizona. FSIS said that it could determine a link between the grilled chicken salads and the E. coli illness reported.
“Based on epidemiological information, 15 case-patients reported consumption of ready-to-eat pre-packaged salads prior to illness onset,” FSIS said in the statement, adding that “a traceback investigation determined Glass Onion Catering was the supplier of the products implicated in the outbreak.”
The products were made between Sept. 23 and Nov. 6 and shipped to distribution centers intended for retail sale in Arizona, California, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington, the statement said, adding that it is uncommon to find E. coli 0157:H7 in poultry products, and that the agency would continue its investigations in conjunction with the FDA and other state health agencies.
E. coli O157:H7 is a potentially deadly bacterium that can cause dehydration, bloody diarrhea and abdominal cramps two to eight days (three to four days on average) after exposure to the organism, FSIS said.
Continue Reading Below
Although most people recover within a week, in some cases, affected people develop a type of kidney failure called hemolytic uremic syndrome, or HUS. Symptoms of HUS include easy bruising, pallor and decreased urine output.
FSIS said that some of the recalled products could be in consumers’ refrigerators and advised consumers to destroy the product. The products recalled include:
- 12 oz. packages of “delish pan pacific chop salad”
- 13.4 oz. packages of “delish California style grilled chicken salad”
- 9.9 oz. packages of “delish uncured applewood smoked ham & cheese wrap”
- 10.5 oz. packages of “delish grilled chicken Caesar wrap”
- 10.9 oz. packages of “delish southwestern chicken wrap”
- 11.5 oz. packages of “delish Greek brand low-calorie grilled chicken wrap”
- 9.9 oz. packages of “delish white chicken club wrap”
- 11.2 oz. packages of “delish Asian style chicken wrap”
- 13.4 oz. packages of “atherstone Fine Foods Southwestern Style White Chicken Wrap with Chimichurri Sauce”
- 10.5 oz. packages of “atherstone Fine Foods Asian Style White Chicken Wrap with Mango Vinaigrette”
- 9.9 oz. packages of “atherstone Fine Foods Grilled White Chicken Caesar Wrap with Caesar Dressing”
- 10.7 oz. packages of “super fresh Foods California Grilled Chicken Salad, Low Fat Mendocino Mustard Dressing”
- 10.7 oz. packages of “Lunch Spot Southwestern Style Chicken Wrap, Chile & Lime Dressing”
- 9.2 oz. packages of “super fresh Foods Pan Pacific Chopped Chicken Salad, Ginger Soy Dressing”
- 10.7 oz. plastic containers of “TRADER JOE’S Field Fresh Chopped Salad with Grilled Chicken.”
- 11 oz. plastic containers of “TRADER JOSÉ’S MEXICALI SALAD with Chili Lime Chicken.”
A full list of products recalled is available on FDA's website.