A popular children's applesauce product has been recalled over mold. GoGo squeeZ recalled some of its snack packs after mold was discovered in some of its products.
Most of the products were caught before they were sent to stores, the company said. However, some snack packs might have been sent out nationwide. The affected products involve applesauce with a "Best Before Date" of June 30, 2016 to July 26, 2016.
A production issue allegedly led to the development of some common mold, the company said. The mold allegedly poses no known health risk. The company set up a phone line for questions at 1-844-275-5841. Customers can also visit www.gogosqueez.com/announcement.
"Quality is a responsibility that we take very seriously, and we apologize that this has happened," the company's CEO Michael Larroche said. "We are doing this because we identified an issue in our recent production that led to the development of some common mold (such as that on fruit) in a small number of pouches. An independent lab tested the mold, and an expert microbiologist determined that it poses no known health risk. However, we know mold is gross and unpleasant to look at or taste, and this is simply not the kind of experience we want you to have. As a consequence, we took every step to fully understand and fix the problem. We are completely confident that we are once again meeting our high quality standards."
GoGo squeeZ comes in 12 flavors, including ApplePineapple and AppleCherry. The company claims the product is made with 100 percent real fruit.
— KLTV 7 (@KLTV7) October 15, 2015
GoGo squeeZ had a similar mold problem last year. The mold was discovered after a consumer reported the problem on the company's Facebook page. "Although this kind of reported incident is rare, because GoGo squeeZ fruit pouches are all natural and preservative-free, in instances where the pouch has become damaged, where a small hole or leak in the pouch has occurred, or where the product has otherwise been exposed to air for a prolonged period of time, it is possible for common food mold to develop," the company said at the time. "This type of common food mold is similar to what can be experienced with bread or fruit that has been overly exposed to air."
Some mothers complained that the mold had made their children sick. "I have been giving my girls your pouches and I trusted your product. My girls have been extremely ill to their stomach for two weeks," one woman claimed on Facebook.
I bought some Gogo Squeez Fast Fruit for my son at Walmart Florida City, FL and I found mold in them( MOLD). retweet pic.twitter.com/bAMCLhf23A
— Marie-Carmelle (@DanceaLstudio) August 25, 2013