Gold bounced on Tuesday after a volatile session the previous day, when it nearly touched last week's all-time high before a firmer U.S. dollar triggered heavy selling from speculators.
* Spot gold rose $3.60 to $1,239.65 an ounce, having
risen as high as $1,262.45 an ounce on Monday, just below a record around $1,264, before losing much of the gain to a bout of profit taking.
* U.S. gold futures for August delivery added $3.1 an ounce to $1,241.7 an ounce, having hit a high around $1,263 on Monday.
* The world's largest gold-backed exchange-traded fund, SPDR Gold Trust (GLD.P) said its holdings were unchanged at a record high at 1,316.177 metric tones.
* The euro was under pressure on Tuesday and dangerously close to a key support level, as funding concerns about the euro zone drove investors to the safe-haven Swiss franc.
* The Nikkei rose 0.3 percent on Tuesday after posting a two-week closing low the previous day, shrugging off declines in U.S. stocks.
* Commodities fell broadly on Monday, with oil down as the market grew less worried that a storm in the U.S. Gulf would threaten oil and gas installations while metals slid on caution about an impending U.S. jobs report.
RELATED NEWS > US consumer spending up, savings at 8-mo high
Japan job market shows tentative recovery
South Korea May current account surplus at 5-mth high
Fed officials-US recovery firm, watching Europe
Do-little G20 summit cheers spared bankers
Wall Street bill passage seen despite Byrd death
Euro zone lending to firms rises in May
BIS warns of new crisis if exit left too late
Precious metals prices at 0031 GMT
Metal Last Change Pct chg YTD pct chg Turnover
Spot Gold 1239.65 3.60 +0.29 13.14
Spot Silver 18.70 0.02 +0.11 11.11
Spot Platinum 1566.50 1.50 +0.10 6.78
Spot Palladium 466.75 0.75 +0.16 15.10
TOCOM Gold 3575.00 -44.00 -1.22 9.70 20144
TOCOM Platinum 4545.00 -35.00 -0.76 3.74 4793
TOCOM Silver 54.30 -1.10 -1.99 5.03 138
TOCOM Palladium 1362.00 -27.00 -1.94 16.91 52
TOCOM prices in yen per gram. Spot prices in $ per ounce.
(Reporting by Lewa Pardomuan; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)