TOKYO, Dec 16 (Reuters) - Gold prices were flat at around $1,125 per ounce on Wednesday ahead of the conclusion of the U.S. Federal Reserve's two-day policy meeting, which could provide clues about the timing of interest rate moves.
* Spot gold XAU= was at $1,124.70 per ounce at 2357 GMT, up 0.03 percent from New York's notional close of $1,124.40.
* It is now trading about 8 percent below a record high of $1,226.10 hit on Dec. 3, due to liquidation.
* U.S. gold futures for February delivery GCG0 inched up 0.3 percent to $1,126 an ounce on the COMEX division of the NYMEX.
* Futures were off some $100 from their record high $1,227.50 hit on Dec. 3.
* The world's largest gold-backed exchange-traded fund, SPDR Gold Trust (GLD), said its holdings stood at 1,116.551 tonnes as of Dec. 15, unchanged from the previous business day. [GOL/SPDR]
* U.S. stocks fell on Tuesday, with the Dow and S&P 500 moving off 14-month highs, as a climb in producer prices raised inflation concerns and economic bellwether General Electric (GE.N) issued a flat outlook for 2010. [.N]
* The dollar climbed broadly on Tuesday, touching a 2-½ month peak against the euro, as stronger U.S. inflation data suggested the Federal Reserve could at least contemplate raising interest rates sooner than investors anticipate. [USD/]
* Oil prices rose for the first day in 10 on Tuesday, moving above $70 a barrel as traders bet that government data will show U.S. crude inventories fell last week. [O/]
* The following data is expected on Wednesday: ECON
- Australia Q3 GDP yr/yr (0030 GMT)
- Euro zone flash PMI for December (0858 GMT)
- UK ILO unemployment for October (0930 GMT)
- UK employment claimant count for November (0930 GMT)
- Euro zone inflation for November (1000 GMT)
- ECB announces results of 1-year REFI operation (1015 GMT)
- Weekly U.S. mortgage market index (1200 GMT)
- Norges Bank policy announcement (1300 GMT)
- U.S. CPI/core CPI for November (1330 GMT)
- U.S. housing starts/building permits, November (1330 GMT)
- U.S. current account for Q3 (1330 GMT)
- U.S. real earnings for November (1330 GMT)
- FOMC releases interest rate statement (1915 GMT)
>Gold recovers after U.S. inflation data, oil rally [GOL/]
>Oil up after 9 days of losses; others mostly down [COM/WRAP]
>Gold risks downtrend if pennant chart support fails
>U.S. producer prices jump, factory reports mixed
>Nakheel funds released but Dubai investors fret [ID:nLDE5BE22I]
Precious metals prices at 2354 GMT
Metal Last Change Pct chg Day ago pct MA 30 RSI
Spot gold $1124.75 $0.35 +0.03% -2.86% $1144.12 36
Spot silver $17.37 -$0.04 -0.23% -4.46% $18.05 34
Spot plat $1447.00 $1.50 +0.10% -0.07% $1426.57 55
COMEX gold $1126.00 $2.20 +0.20% +0.54% $1142.27 37
TOCOM gold 3,225 4 +0.12% +0.09% 3,287
TOCOM plat 4,135 -12 -0.29% +0.71% 4,095
Euro/dlr $1.454 $0.001 +0.05% -0.78%
Dlr/yen 89.52 -0.10 -0.11% +1.05%
TOCOM prices in yen per gram, except TOCOM silver which is
priced in yen per 10 grams. Spot prices in $ per ounce.
(Reporting by Miho Yoshikawa)
Forex Trader Library
Receive over 15 hours (8 CD's) of our best Forex trading education in one package! Containing the newest Advanced Forex CD, this education pack focuses on exactly what you need to know to become a successful Forex Trader.