Google Inc's (GOOG) Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt Tuesday ruled out rumors of submission of new version of Maps app to Apple (AAPL) that is compatible with the new operating system iOS 6 and averred that Apple's decision to switch to a proprietary Maps application was perhaps a misstep, AppleInsider reported.
The reports come amid confirmation that both technology firms are holding daily talks, TechCrunch has noted.
This refusal gains significance as Apple launched its own mapping service that drew widespread criticism for glaring omissions. Based on Dutch navigation equipment and digital map maker TomTom NV's data, the application is now being officially declared as work in progress following user outburst.
Stating that Apple's decision to remove Google Maps was probably a mistake, Schmidt said: "We think it would have been better if they had kept ours. But what do I know? What were we going to do, force them not to change their mind? It's their call.”
Google and Apple's relations soured after the rise of Google's Android mobile operating system, the world's leading smartphone platform.
Implying that he is keen on partnership with Apple, Schmidt said he hoped Google would remain Apple's search partner on the iPhone, but left the decision to Apple, adding: "I'm not doing any predictions. We want them to be our partner. We welcome that. I'm not going to speculate at all what they're going to do. They can answer that question as they see fit," according to Reuters.
Reaffirming that no app had been submitted to Apple, Eric Schmidt refused to provide hints when the software would be submitted, AppleInsider noted.
Recently, the search giant launched a standalone YouTube app after Apple's announcement that the familiar app would no longer be available on iOS 6.
Schmidt, who was in Japan to announce the launch of Google's Nexus tablet, used the device to show off a new Google Maps 3D feature which uses internal sensors to manipulate onscreen UI than touch gestures, Reuters has added.