A gunman opened fire at a high school east of Cleveland on Monday, injuring four students before he was taken into custody, law enforcement officials said.
The school was immediately put on lockdown, according to Scott Wilson, spokesman for the regional office of the FBI.
The four injured students are enroute to area hospitals, Wilson said. He had no immediate information on their conditions nor on the chain of events that transpired early Monday at Chardon High School, about 35 miles east of Cleveland.
Local media reported that the wounded were taken to University Hospital Cleveland and to another area hospital. Officials could not immediately confirm those reports.
All of our high school students are now safe, Joseph Bergant, superintendent of Chardon schools said on local television, which was relayed by CNN.
The alleged person who did the damage is in custody, Bergant said. The school campus is now safe.
The superintendent told local media that the shooter was believed to be a student. Reuters could not immediately confirm that detail.
Live television images showed emergency vehicles at the school and a scene of urgency as parents rushed to the vicinity to find their children.
Chardon resident Teresa Hunt said on local television she had been receiving messages from her daughter, a student at the high school.
Hunt told local News Channel 5 that her daughter, an 18-year-old senior, heard five shots in the school cafeteria at about 7:30 a.m. local time.
A spokesman for the Geauga County Sherriff's office could not immediately be reached for details.
(Reporting By Kim Palmer and Ellen Wulfhorst; writing by Dan Burns)