Christmas has come early! December 25 is still many months away, but the Hallmark Channel is already in the holiday spirit. The network announced that they will be releasing 16 original movies as part of their 2015 “Countdown to Christmas.”
While in Beverly Hills, Calif. for the Television Critics Association Summer Press Tour, Crown Media Family Networks’ President and CEO, Bill Abbott, and Executive Vice President of Programming and Network Program Publicity, Michelle Vicary, announced highlights of the exciting Christmas lineup for 2015. And while it might seem a little bit early, the holiday fun actually starts sooner than you think – October. That’s right, Hallmark Channel’s “Countdown to Christmas” premieres on Halloween day, Saturday, Oct. 31.
Sixteen original movies are planned to premiere. Check out some of the highlights below:
- “Tis The Season For Love” – Premiering Nov. 1
- Starring Sarah Lancaster (“Witches of East End”) and Brendan Penny (“Motive”), “Tis The Season For Love” is about an “out-of-work actress” who returns home for the holidays. It’s only then that a “Christmas romance” helps her discover that life in her hometown “could turn out to be even better than Broadway.”
- “Ice Sculpture Christmas” – Premiering Nov. 7
- Rachel Boston (“Witches of East End”) and Brenda Strong (“Dallas”) star in a story about an aspiring chef who finds romance during an annual Christmas ice sculpting competition.
- “Northpole: Open for Christmas” – Premiering Nov. 21
- “Fuller House” star Lori Loughlin trades in Uncle Jesse for Dermot Mulroney (“Shameless”) in this holiday tale about a woman who needs a little help (and Christmas spirit) from elves before the holiday.
- “Crown for Christmas” – Premiering Nov. 27
- It’s your usual girl meets king love story in this new original movie starring Danica McKellar (“The Wonder Years”).
- "A Christmas Detour" – Premiering Nov. 28
- Candace Cameron Bure (“Fuller House”), Paul Greene (“Bitten”), Sarah Strange (“Garage Sale Mystery” movie series) and David Lewis (“Man of Steel”) star in a comedy about stranded travelers who work together to get home for the holidays.
And that’s not all! The network announced that singer Mariah Carey will be joining them for a new movie as part of their “Countdown to Christmas” – “Mariah Carey’s Christmas Project.”
Vicary revealed that the network has tapped the 45-year-old Grammy winner to direct and star in the upcoming film. Plot details have not been released, however, Carey’s 2010 hit song “Oh Santa!” will be featured in the film. Fans can look forward to their first peek at the special in October.
The news of Mariah Carey’s new project comes a few weeks after the network’s annual “Christmas Keepsake Holiday Preview.” To celebrate “Christmas in July,” Hallmark Channel airs all of its holiday favorites from July 3 – 12 to get viewers in the holiday spirit.
“Countdown to Christmas” begins October 31. What new original movies are you excited to watch? Tweet your thoughts to @AmandaTVScoop.