Long after Bob Ross' death, art enthusiasts still turn to the American painter for inspiration and influence. On his birthday, fans will celebrate Ross’ life and legacy once more. The painter would have been 74 years old Saturday.
Although Ross, an Air Force veteran from Florida, was simply aiming to help people make masterpieces in just 30 minutes on his long-running PBS series, “The Joy of Painting,” it was his soothing voice, motivating messages and deep appreciation of all earthly wonders that led to his cult-like following. During his reign on PBS from 1982 through 1994, Ross curated over 400 paintings.
Even after his death from lymphoma in 1995, the curly-haired art instructor -- who actually was born with straight hair -- amassed an even bigger following, resulting in Netflix’s decision to stream Ross’ “Beauty is Everywhere” series.
Help remember one of America’s greatest painters on his birthday by checking out a few of Ross’ most captivating Bob-isms below:
1. “We don’t make mistakes. We just have happy accidents.”
2. “The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. Anything that you believe you can do strong enough, you can do. Anything. As long as you believe.”
3. “You too can paint almighty pictures.”
4. “Find freedom on this canvas.”
5. “I like to beat the brush.”
6. “They say everything looks better with odd numbers of things. But sometimes I put even numbers — just to upset the critics.”
7. “We tell people sometimes: We’re like drug dealers, come into town and get everybody absolutely addicted to painting. It doesn’t take much to get you addicted.”
8. “Didn’t you know you had that much power? You can move mountains. You can do anything.”
9. “Talk to the tree, make friends with it.”
10. “You can do anything you want to do. This is your world.”
11. “Look around. Look at what we have. Beauty is everywhere—you only have to look to see it.”
12. “The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. Anything that you believe you can do strong enough, you can do. Anything. As long as you believe.”
13. “We artists are a different breed of people. We're a happy bunch.”
14. “Maybe in our world there lives a happy little tree over there.