Wednesday is Hillary Clinton's birthday. What are the odds that when she blows out the candles on her birthday cake, she wishes for the White House?
Clinton has had a rough year, if not a rough decade. Running for president is not an easy job, and both Clinton and her Republican opponent, Donald Trump, have had to endure countless attacks and criticisms from each other, the media and voters. But nobody should have to be attacked on their birthday.
In honor of Clinton, who turns 69 Wednesday, and because there just 13 days until the big election, here are 13 quotes from the former first lady and secretary of state that even Trump and the GOP can get behind:
1. "I think the world would be a lot better off if more people were to define themselves in terms of their own standards and values and not what other people said or thought about them."
2. "I’ve always believed you can learn something from nearly everybody you meet, if you’re open to it."
3. "We should remember that just as a positive outlook on life can promote good health, so can everyday acts of kindness."
4. "Forgiveness is a way of opening up the doors again and moving forward, whether it's a personal life or a national life."
5. "We are a country where people of all backgrounds, all nations of origin, all languages, all religions, all races, can make a home. America was built by immigrants."
6. "You know, everybody has setbacks in their life, and everybody falls short of whatever goals they might set for themselves. That's part of living and coming to terms with who you are as a person."
7. "Don’t confuse having a career with having a life."
8. "It's easy to diagnose a problem. It's harder to do something about a problem."
9. "It is often when night looks darkest, it is often before the fever breaks that one senses the gathering momentum for change, when one feels that resurrection of hope in the midst of despair and apathy."
10. "Showing up is not all of life — but it counts for a lot."
11. "I am someone who hopes for the best and prepares for the worst."
12. "Let’s stand up against prejudice and paranoia. Let’s prove once again, that America is great because is America is good."
13. "You show people what you're willing to fight for when you fight your friends."