Julia Child would have been celebrating her 103rd birthday Saturday, probably with cake. Child was born on Aug. 15, 1912, in Pasadena, California. Child took the culinary world by storm with her fabulous French cooking and enthusiasm for life, bringing a bit of laughter and fun into the serious world of French cuisine.
Child left a serious mark on the culinary landscape with several award-winning books, including "Mastering the Art of French Cooking," which is considered by some as the most comprehensive French cookbook ever published in the U.S. Child is also well-known for her TV show, “The French Chef,” which featured her teaching everyday Americans French culinary techniques that she learned in Paris at Le Cordon Bleu cooking school.
Child died in 2004, two days before her 92nd birthday. Her legacy lives on, as evidenced by Meryl Streep's on-screen portrayal of the beloved chef in the 2009 film "Julie & Julia." To celebrate Child, who many people consider the chef of her generation, we've listed below a few of her memorable quotes about life, fun and food, courtesy of Goodreads.
1. “A party without cake is just a meeting.”
2. “Life itself is the proper binge.”
3. “You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces -- just good food from fresh ingredients.”
4. “Fat gives things flavor.”
5. “People who love to eat are always the best people.”
6. “In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport.”
7. "Drama is very important in life: You have to come on with a bang. You never want to go out with a whimper.”
8. “Good French cooking cannot be produced by a zombie cook.”
9. “I believe in red meat. I've often said: red meat and gin.”
10. “The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking, you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude.”