Hot sauce fans everywhere will likely be rejoicing Friday in celebration of National Hot Sauce Day! Hot sauce, whether you prefer it with chicken wings or eggs, has long been a wildly popular condiment.
Aside from cult favorites like Frank’s Red Hot and Sriracha, some of the hottest hot sauces out there are not as well-known. In celebration of National Hot Sauce Day, below is a list of the hottest hot sauces known to humanity, based on the Scoville Scale. The Scoville Scale was assembled from sources and charts from all over the web, and from many sauce manufacturers themselves. Check out the full Scoville Scale, featuring hot peppers along with sauces, here.
1. Blair’s Caldera Hot Sauce: Only 499 bottles of this hot sauce were reportedly ever made, and there’s only three 2 oz. bottles. The sauce is 2,600 times hotter than a jalapeno, and at the top of the bottle Pure Capsaicin Crystals can be seen suspended in the oil.
2. CaJohns Get Bitten Black Mamba 6 Hot Sauce: This blend is made of chocolate habaneros vinegar and its mission is “to bring pain, with a never ending wave of venomous fire.” This sauce is 1,200 times hotter than a jalapeno.
3. Crazy Uncle Jester’s Select Reserve: This house sauce is made with sweet pear puree, fresh pepper and onions and hand-milled spices. A bushel of habanero peppers is reportedly added to every bottle. This sauce is 220 times hotter than a jalapeno, according to the Scoville Scale.
4. Frostbite: This sauce claims to be the world’s first white hot sauce and the first sauce to sparkle and shimmer when you shake it. It is ranked as being 200 times hotter than a jalapeno.
5. Melinda’s Red Savina Pepper Sauce: This sauce is touted as packing a “punch twice as hot as regular habanero and 65 times as hot as jalapeno pepper. "
6. Buffalo Wild Wings Blazin’ Sauce: This sauce might be from a chain restaurant, but it still packs a major punch! The sauce is listed as being 70 times hotter than a jalapeno.
7. Dave’s Ghost Pepper Naga Jolokia Hot Sauce: This hot sauce claims to “contain both the heat of the bhut/naga jolokia pepper and chile extract." It’s ranked as being 130 times hotter than a jalapeno, according to the Scoville Scale.
8. Not Cool Chocolate Habanero: This unique sauce is organically grown and contains flavors of coffee and cocoa. It’s ranked as being 45 times hotter than a jalapeno.
9. Predator Great White Shark: Another non-traditional hot sauce, this sauce is made with pineapple, papaya, banana and real fruit juices, and is still ranked as being 35 times hotter than a jalapeno.
10. Big Daddy Jake’s Texas Pit Smoked Hot Sauce: This blend uses nine types of hot peppers and is touted as taking your senses to, “a good old-fashioned Texas pit smoked BBQ and delivers intense heat with a rich smoky finish."