ABC’s hit series “How to Get Away With Murder” returned to TV Thursday night and, in true Shonda Rhimes fashion, the Season 2 premiere was jaw dropping. Episode 1 provided viewers with the answers to longstanding questions from Season 1 while simultaneously creating more.
As promised, Rebecca’s (Katie Findlay) killer was revealed during the Season 2 premiere. Much of the episode centered on Annalise (Viola Davis) and Frank’s (Charlie Weber) quest to determine which of the “Keating five” may be at fault. Frank initially believed, without a doubt, that Wes (Alfred Enoch) was to blame. Annalise, however, was not as convinced. After some deep -- and perhaps not so ethical -- investigating Wes, and the other four students’, names were cleared. In a moment of clarity Annalise was able to put two and two together, realizing that there was only one person left to blame for Rebecca’s murder -- Bonnie (Liza Weil).
Annalise confronted her about the murder, at which time she admitted her guilt. She defended her actions, however, claiming Rebecca was a liability for the entire group and, had she allowed her to live, she would have gone to the police. “HTGAWM” then cut to a scene from Season 1, showing the exact moment Rebecca was killed. The difference? This time her killer was shown. In the flashback viewers were privy, for the first time, to the dialog that transpired between Bonnie and Rebecca in the moments before her death. Bonnie was shown, at first, telling Rebecca she was free to go and sharing with her the Annalise was hopeful that in return for her freedom she would keep quiet about what she had seen, heard and been a part of. She agreed, but suddenly Bonnie had a change of heart. After sharing with Rebecca that she had a difficult life -- revealing that “the worst things” had happened to her during her childhood -- she told her she had to go. She then slipped a bag over her head and held it until she suffocated.
While Rebecca’s killer reveal was the main focus of the episode, there were several other major bombshells dropped during the episode. Here are 5 notable moments from “HTGAWM” Season 2, episode 1:
- Eve (Famke Janssen), a fellow lawyer from Annalise’s past, paid a visit to the law school professor at her home. It was later revealed that, not only did the pair attend Harvard Law together, they also had a romantic relationship.
- After meeting with Eve in the hopes that she would take on Nate's (Billy Brown) case and clear him of Sam’s murder, Nate turned on Annalise. He called her to let her know he was fine with going to jail, but promised he’d be taking her down with him.
- Connor (Jack Falahee) and Oliver (Conrad Ricamora) are forced to confront the brutal reality that Oliver may be infected with HIV, something he -- and potentially they as a couple -- will have to deal with forever.
- Michaela (Aja Naomi King) contacted the infamous “EGGS911” number with a simple “Hi.” She received a message back at the closing of episode 1, but viewers will have to wait until Oct. 1 to find out what comes of that.
- A two month time jump in the final moments of episode 1 revealed another major twist: Annalise was shot! Annalise was at the mansion of her new clients, an adopted brother and sister accused of murdering their parents. Annalise sabotaged their original lawyer to take on the case, and shortly after the key witness in the case turned up dead. The two month time jump showed Wes running from the mansion after the gunshot and Annalise gasping for breath in a puddle of blood.
“HTGAWM” airs Thursdays at 10 p.m. on ABC.