A Washington Post report has claimed the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was involved in the hacking of  Qatar government's news and social media sites. The report said that information accessed by U.S. intelligence officials has confirmed that senior members of the UAE government had discussed the plan and its implementation.

The U.S. agencies have not made any public comments on the information they accessed. Also, it was not clear if the UAE contracted some agency for the hack or carried out the hack itself.

The UAE has termed the Post report false. “The UAE had no role whatsoever in the alleged hacking described in the article,” UAE ambassador to Washington Yousef al-Otaiba said in a statement.

Read: Qatar Crisis Update 2017: Oil Export Conflict Expands To Libya

“What is true is Qatar’s behavior. Funding, supporting, and enabling extremists from the Taliban to Hamas and Qadafi. Inciting violence, encouraging radicalization, and undermining the stability of its neighbors,” the statement further read.

The incident took place on May 24, as the state-run Qatar News Agency website attributed explosive remarks to the country's Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani. The comments sparked a series of events that led to the region's diplomatic crisis.  The disputed comments praised Hamas and called Iran an "Islamic power."

Sheikh Tamim was quoted as saying in the comments that were put in by the hackers: "There is no reason behind Arabs' hostility to Iran and our [Doha's] relationship with Israel is good," BBC reported.

The statement also portrayed the Lebanese Shia militant movement Hezbollah, a close ally of Iran, in a positive light. 

Responding quickly to the controversial comments, four Arab countries blocked Qatari news websites, including the influential news website Al Jazeera network.

The controversy did not stop there. On June 15, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, Egypt and other allies cut diplomatic and trade links in a bid to isolate Qatar and accused the country of supporting extremism. The countries closed land borders and banned Qatar's planes from using their airspace. Furthermore, Qatar nationals were banned from transiting through their airports.

Qatari nationals were asked to leave these countries within 14 days and citizens of these countries living in Qatar were ordered to come back home. 

Qatar has repeatedly accused its neighbors of the hack and claimed that it had evidence. However, Qatar has so far not come out with any such evidence.

A spokesman for the Qatari Embassy in Washington responded by pointing to a month-old statement by that government’s attorney general Ali Bin Fetais al-Marri, “Qatar has evidence that certain iPhones originating from countries laying siege to Qatar were used in the hack,” the Washington Post reported.

Some reports also blamed Russian hackers for the incident. A report in the Guardian on June 7 said that an FBI investigation had found that Russian hackers were responsible for sending out fake messages from the Qatari government.

The report said that the Russian government was not involved in the hacks but freelance hackers were paid for the job.  The report mentioned that it was believed Saudi Arabia or UAE might have paid for the hacking.

Read: US State Department Says Qatar Crisis Might Not Be Terror-Related

A senior UAE official said on Monday that international monitoring was needed in the standoff between Qatar and its Arab neighbors, adding he saw signs that the pressure exerted on Doha "was working".

"We need to be certain that Qatar, a state with $300 billion in reserves, is no longer an official or unofficial sponsor of jihadist and terrorist causes," said Anwar Gargash, UAE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Reuters reported.