It's never too long after a new operating system rolls out that tech wizzes figure out how to jailbreak devices. Apple's iOS 5, released on Wednesday, already has a popular jailbreak tool, redsn0w, which is compatible with all devices running iOS 5 -- except for the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4S.
Redsn0w 0.9.9b5 can be used to execute a tethered jailbreak, though the iPhone Dev-Team and Chronic Dev Team are reportedly in the works to create an untethered jailbreak.
The downside is that with a tethered jailbreak, the user needs to reconnect the device to a Windows or Mac computer every time the device reboots to regain jailbreak capabilities. This becomes especially difficult if the battery dies, because the device has to be reconnected to a computer to regain the jailbreak application. However, according to TheGadgets.net, a key hacker on the Chronic Dev Team, Joshua Hill, is working on an untethered jailbreak for the iPhone 4S and iOS 5, and it is set to emerge soon.
For now, you can easily jailbreak your iOS 5-supported device, and here's all the information you need to get started in 10 easy steps.
Who can jailbreak?
iOS 5 users can jailbreak the iPod touch 3G and 4G, the first generation iPad, and the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. Currently, jailbreak is not supported for the iPhone 4S and iPad 2.
Jailbreaking software allows adept iPhone users to hack their device and run a number of free apps, including extensions and the ability to customize the interface through Cydia, a third-party app-maker. Some may want to wait for the untethered jailbreak solution to emerge, but for now you can opt for the tethered download and switch later.
How to jailbreak in 10 easy steps:
1. Be sure to have iOS 5 installed on your device. If you haven't yet, here's how you can upgrade.
4. Launch redsn0w on your computer. Turn off the device and plug it in.
5. In redsn0w, click Extras and select the iOS 5.ipsw firmware file.
6. Go back to the main screen and click Jailbreak.
7. Click Install Cydia.
8. Follow instructions prompted by resn0w to put device into DFU mode.
9. Reboot device by connecting device, turning it off and launching redsn0w. Like in step 5, click Extras followed by Just boot.
10. Put device in DFU mode again and redsn0w will boot your device and restore jailbreak capabilities.