Claflin is known for his role as William in "Snow White and the Huntsman," starring alongside an all-star cast of Kristen Stewart, Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth. It was previously rumored that "Twilight" mega-star Robert Pattinson would be portraying Finnick Odair on screen, but Lionsgate made an offer to Claflin last month.
"The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" is a follow up to the blockbuster film based on the novel series by Suzanne Collins, and follows the story of now 17-year-old Katniss Everdeen and the futuristic nation of Panem.
Everdeen and District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark both survived the "Hunger Games" after the first book in the series, and both have returned home hoping for a peaceful future. However, the Capitol is now seeking revenge, as rumors of a rebellion sparked by Everdeen emerge. Now, both Mellark and Everdeen must embark on a visit to the districts during the Victory Tour, and if they fail, their families and entire district could be in danger.
Finnick Odair is a character in the film from District 4, and Collins' paints a picture of Odair as handsome and good-looking with stunning green-eyes and charm. Does Claflin live up to this description? Here are five other actors that could be fit to play the dreamy role of Finnick Odair.
1. Garrett Hedlund. His name has been mentioned when it comes to casting for "Catching Fire," according to Celebuzz. Although he wasn't cast, we can certainly see why he was an option. Without his facial scruff, Hedlund would be fit to play the hunky Odair on the silver screen.
2. Hunter Parrish. He was considered for the role of Peeta Mallerk, but Josh Hutcherson. Parrish is known for playing the role of a drug dealer on Showtime's acclaimed series "Weeds." Although he may give off the bad-boy vibe on that show, he definitely has the boyish good looks to play the handsome Odair.
3. Taylor Kitsch. This Canadian actor is best known for his role as Tim Riggins in the NBC TV series "Friday Night Lights." He has also recently starred in the action adventure thriller "Savages" with Blake Lively, and portrayed Lieutenant Alex Hopper in "Battleship."
4. Ryan Kwanten. This Australian-born hunk got his claim to fame on HBO's "True Blood," and embodies the dreamy good looks and heroic nature that could make a perfect Finnick Odair.
5. Michael Fassbender. He may be slightly too old for this role, but a clean-shaven Fassbender could pass for the youthful Finnick Odair. Fassbender has most recently been seen in "Prometheus" as the android David and is also known for his role in "X-Men: First Class."
Was Sam Claflin the best choice, or could Lionsgate have done better? Sound off in the comments and let us know who our ideal Finnick Odair would be.