Hurricane Irene Philadelphia: Hundreds of Thousands Without Power

 @Gooch700
on August 29 2011 8:52 AM
Residents watch the flooded streets in the Philadelphia neighborhood of Manayunk after Hurricane Irene
Residents watch the flooded streets in the Philadelphia neighborhood of Manayunk after Hurricane Irene. REUTERS

At least a half million people in the Philadelphia area remain without electric power after Hurricane Irene passed through the region on Sunday.

Thousands still remain vulnerable to continued flooding.

As of 10 p.m. EDT Sunday, about 363,000 of PECO's customers were without electric service, the utility said. A spokesman said the utility hopes to get 90 percent of those customers back on-line by Wednesday night, with the remaining 10 percent having power restored by the weekend.

More than 400 trees in fell in Philadelphia, seven buildings collapsed and twenty roads remain closed. There were no immediate reports of deaths or injuries in local media

PSEG in New Jersey said about 265,000 customers were without power on Monday morning, while Atlantic City Electric said about 62,000 of its customers were without power.

The National Weather Service said flood warnings remain in effect for the following areas: the Delaware River from Tocks Island to Trenton; the Assunpink Creek in Mercer County and the North Branch of the Rancocas Creek in Pemberton.

The weather service also issued flood warnings for southeastern Salem County, Cumberland County, south central Camden County, southeastern Gloucester County and western Atlantic County.

Transportation in the Delaware Valley is sporadic.

The Trenton, N.J. railway station is reportedly flooded after a nearby creek rose to record levels and overflowed onto surrounding streets.

SEPTA is largely running, although service is suspended on certain lines because of storm-related problems.

Except for the Atlantic City line, New Jersey Transit rail service is still suspended, while bus and light rail are operating on a modified schedule.

 

Share this article

More News from IBT MEDIA