The owners of the GSM Nexus S received the Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich update a couple of days ago, unlike users of the Sprint version of the phone who had to wait a while for their share of the ICS scoop. But now, their wait is apparently over as a latest report has posted what it claims is the official over-the-air 4.0.4 ROM for the WiMAX-enabled Nexus S.
With rumored dates for the Nexus S 4G Android 4.0 update on the horizon, the official stock image files have finally surfaced. Thanks to a source, we have leaked the files with exclusive access, a BriefMobile report said.
Our leak contains the whole shabang: an updated signed_radio.img, boot.img, bootloader.img, recovery.img, system.img, and userdata.img.
According to the report, this is the full official IMM76D ICS ROM coming to the Nexus S 4G OTA very soon.
Together with the latest version of Android, the update also has a new baseband that early adopters say has significantly improved WiMAX reception, The Verge reported.
BriefMobile report has also provided the installation instructions with a warning that reads:
This will wipe your data entirely. BriefMobile is not liable for your actions. This has been fully tested and is working 100%.
Here are the steps to follow to get Android 4.0.4 installed on the Nexus S 4G.
- Download and unzip IMM76Drelease-keys.zip: Mirror 1 | Mirror 2 | Mirror 3
- Install the NS4G drivers
- Download and unzip Odin v1.85
- Open Odin3_v1.85.exe
- Power off the Nexus S 4G
- Put the Nexus S 4G into Download Mode by holding both Volume Up+Down then simply press the Power Button
- Connect the Nexus S 4G to your computer. Ensure Odin recognizes it. You should see 0:[COM#] fill in the first box.
- Click BOOTLOADER and select SPH-D720_IMM76D_KE1_BOOTLOAD_signed.tar
- Click PDA and select SPH-D720_IMM76D_PDA_signed.tar
- Click PHONE and select SPH-D720_IMM76D_LC1_Modem_signed.tar
- Click Start
- After it is finished, the NS4G will reboot and it will run Android 4.0.4 IMM76D.
Other than the Nexus One, which won't be receiving the ICS update, the Nexus S 4G is Google's only Nexus device without Ice Cream Sandwich.