IKEA has issued a recall on eight styles of its “SMILA” series children’s lamps after a child choked on a cord and died.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, 2.9 million of the wall-mounted kids' lamps were sold at IKEA in the U.S. from 1999 through May 2013 for $10 to $13 apiece. An estimated 23 million were sold worldwide, the CPSC said Wednesday.
The CSPC said a 16-month-old child died from getting entangled in the cord and choking. Another child who was 15 months old was also entangled and nearly strangled. The children, both European, reportedly pulled the lamp cord into their cribs.
The recalled lamps come in eight designs – a blue star, yellow moon, pink flower, white flower, red heart, green bug, blue seashell and orange seahorse – each measuring 11 inches high by 11 inches wide.
The recall states that consumers should stop using the lamps and contact IKEA for a free repair kit to attach the cord to the wall. IKEA also said cords should be “out of reach of children.” To receive a repair kit for free, consumers can contact customer service at (888) 966-4532.
The IKEA SMILA wall-mounted lamps affected by the recall include: STJÄRNA: article #501-944-49 and #500-108-79 MÅNE: article #701-944-48 and #700-108-40 BLOMMA: article #901-944-47, #000-979-50 and #300-746-50 HJÄRTA: article #202-256-59 and #801-993-13 BAGGE: article #101-944-46 and #700-728-71 SNÄCKA: article #400-982-50 SJÖHÄST: article #900-982-43
IKEA shoppers can find the model name printed on a label on the inside back of the lamp near the lightbulb to see if it is affected by the recall.
IKEA has the recall clearly listed in the product recall section of its newsroom as well as on the homepage as a banner.
Nadine joined IBTimes in July 2011 and is the editor of the Continuous News Desk, which covers trending news. She writes about retail, the fashion industry and pop culture...