Want to jailbreak your iPhone? Now's your last chance to update to the latest version of iOS 7 before iOS 8 drops this week.
Apple's security (NASDAQ:AAPL) measures prevent anything but the latest iOS to be installed on its devices. Apple's iOS 8, which becomes available Wednesday, is not yet jailbroken. But iOS 7 is, so now's the time to update to the last version, 7.1.2, before it goes away for good Wednesday.
The jailbreak process, which removes software limitations of iOS, relies on flaws in select versions of Apple’s mobile operating system to work on the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
If you’re already running a jailbroken version of iOS 7.1.2, there’s nothing else you need to do. But keep in mind if your device requires a full restore, there’s no going back to iOS 7.1.2. While not a guaranteed solution, jailbreak users can use apps such as Semi-Restore to refresh their devices when necessary.
Disclaimer: International Business Times is not responsible for any damage caused by running unapproved or unauthorized software on your iOS device. Proceed at your own risk.
For those running older versions of iOS 7, you can jailbreak your iOS device by performing a full restore to iOS 7.1.2 and following these instructions:
Required tools and software:
Apple iOS device running 7.1 through 7.1.2
Latest version of iTunes for Windows/OS X
How to jailbreak iOS 7.1.2 using PanGu:
1. Connect your iOS device to a computer via USB.
2. Backup all data on your device and update to iOS 7.1.2. (Performing a full restore is recommended.)
3. Launch the PanGu iOS 7.1.2 jailbreak application.
4. Press the jailbreak button to proceed.
5. The installer will then prompt you to change the date on your iOS device to June 2. After changing the date, the installation of the PanGu jailbreak will continue.
6. Another notification will prompt you to launch the PanGu icon added to your device. Press it to proceed.
7. The jailbreak process will continue for a few minutes and reboot the device. Don't disconnect it from your computer.
8. The iOS device will restart one more time and display a message indicating the jailbreak has been successfully completed.
The PanGu jailbreak is compatible with iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S, iPad Air, iPad Mini and iPod Touch.