Turkish authorities detained three Russians over suspected links to the Islamic State group, following Tuesday’s suicide bombing in Istanbul’s Sultanahmet Square that killed at least 10 people, media reports said Wednesday. Russia's Consulate General in the Turkish city of Antalya later confirmed the detention of the Russian nationals, Reuters reported, citing state news agency RIA.
Turkey's Dogan News Agency said Wednesday that police seized documents and CDs during a search of the premises where the suspects were staying, Reuters reported.
The extremist group, also known as ISIS, has been blamed for the attack in the ancient center of Istanbul carried out by a 28-year-old Syrian. No group has so far claimed responsibility.
Authorities reportedly said that nine Germans and one Peruvian tourist were among the dead. Two German citizens are still in a serious condition in hospital, Turkish Interior Minister Efkan Ala reportedly said Wednesday.
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said Tuesday that he spoke with German Chancellor Angela Merkel to offer condolences and vowed Turkey will continue fighting ISIS at home and as part of the U.S.-led coalition.
Last year, two bombings suspected to be carried out by the Sunni militant group rocked the Turkish town of Suruc near the Syrian border and the capital Ankara, with the latter claiming more than 100 lives.