Dean was born Feb. 8, 1931, in Marion, Indiana, and went on to become an iconic actor. He received an Oscar nomination for his role in the film adaption of the John Steinbeck novel, “East of Eden,” and is also revered and well-known for his part in “Giant.”
Dean was killed in California after crashing his Porsche into a Ford Tudor Sedan. In celebration of the iconic film star’s life, below is a collection of Dean’s most inspiring and influential quotes, courtesy of BrainyQuote and Goodreads.
James Dean alone in a coffee shop. pic.twitter.com/En9MgvLTBQ
— History in Moments (@historyinmoment) September 27, 2015
1. “The gratification comes in the doing, not in the results.”
2. “Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today.”
3. "There is no way to be truly great in this world. We are all impaled on the crook of conditioning.”
4. “Only the gentle are ever really strong.”
5. “The only greatness for man is immortality.”
6. “I can’t let in the light. It will destroy my performance like light destroys film.”
7. “An actor must interpret life, and in order to do so must be willing to accept all the experiences life has to offer. In fact, he must seek out more of life than life puts at his feet. ”
8. “Racing is the only time I feel whole.”
9. "Trust and belief are two prime considerations. You must not allow yourself to be opinionated."
10. "I also became close to nature, and am now able to appreciate the beauty with which this world is endowed."
11. “Being an actor is the loneliest thing in the world. You are all alone with your concentration and imagination, and that's all you have.”