Jill Duggar and Jessa Seewald have spoken. The “19 Kids and Counting” reality stars sat down with Megyn Kelly on “The Kelly File” Friday to share their thoughts on their brother Josh Duggar’s molestation scandal.
As most “19 Kids and Counting” fans are aware, Josh, 27, was recently revealed to have molested five underage girls during his teenage years in 2002 and 2003. Earlier this week, it was confirmed that Jill, now 24, and Jessa, now 22, were two of his victims. Following their parents Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar’s "The Kelly File" interview on Wednesday, the two sisters share their own sides of the story regarding Josh’s scandal.
“I called my husband and I was in tears. I couldn’t believe what was going on,” Jill said, as reported by People, of her response to learning a police report sharing intimiate details of her past would be released.” Meanwhile Jessa had a different reaction. The site reports that newlywed reality star was “furious” to learn her family's history would be displayed on the cover of In Touch Weekly. The tabloid received Josh’s juvenile record via the Freedom of Information Act and published redacted excerpts last month.
“The system was set up to protect kids. Both those who make stupid mistakes or have problems like this in their life and the ones that are affected by those choices,” Jessa said. “It’s just greatly failed… They’re not protecting us here.”
Jill added that her family’s story being told via a tabloid was not the best method. “Our story was not being told like we felt it should have been told. We’re the victims, the only ones who can speak for themselves,” she said. Jill said she and Jessa utlimately decided to speak up because they felt their story had been “warped” by the media.
“… That’s why Jessa and I wanted to come out and just say, like, ‘That’s not what happened. We’ve dealt with it. We’ve already forgiven Josh. We’ve already moved on.”
“19 Kids and Counting” was pulled from TLC’s airwaves on May 22. The network has yet to comment on their plans for the series.