A British tourist, who was freed on Wednesday by Somali pirates after enduring six months of captivity, was unaware of the death of her husband for weeks after she was taken in captivity during a raid on a beach resort on the Kenyan Coast.
The 56-year-old, who is originally from Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, was flown to Nairobi after the pirates were reportedly paid a ransom, reported the Associated Press.
I'm just happy to be released and I'm looking forward to seeing my son who successfully secured my release. I don't know how he did it, but he did, which is great, she said, according to BBC.
Somali pirates entered the Tebbut's cottage at the Kiwayu Safari Village resort on the night of Sept. 10, 2011. Authorities believe that David Tebbut, resisted and was shot. The couple were the only tourists staying at the 18-cottage resort, reported the AP.
A month later, gunman kidnapped a French woman who lived part of the year in Lamu. She died while in captivity.
The Kenyans believe that al-Shabab, which has since merged with al-Qaida was behind the raids at Lamu. The terrorist organization has denied any involvement. These raids were the reason why the Kenyans committed to troops to Somali and attacked al-Shabab militants in October, reported the AP.
Tebbutt is still reeling from the loss of her husband, which she found out about through her son about two after she was taken by pirates, reported BBC.
I just assumed he was alive, Judith Tebbutt said, according to the Associated Press.
She is now just coming to terms with her loss.
I feel extremely sad, said Tebbutt, according to the BBC. Very, very sad indeed. He was a good man. That was very unfortunate. Really horrible. But you've just got to pick up the pieces... and move on.
Tebbutt said she excited to be reunited with her son and his thankful for her freedom.
This however is a time when my joy at being safe again is overwhelmed by my immense grief, shared by Ollie and the wider family, following David's passing in September last year.
I hope that while I adjust to my freedom and the devastating loss of my husband, that I and my family will be allowed space, time and most of all privacy, to come to terms with the events of the last six months, said Tebbut according to the BBC.
British officials, however, declined to comment on the circumstances related to Tebbut's release or the ransom.
Our position is that we do not pay ransoms and we do not facilitate concessions to hostage-takers, said a spokesman for Prime Minister David Cameron, according to the AP.
Reports indicate that Oliver Tebbutt had hired a private security firm to secure his mother's safety, not British officials.
Tebbutt's employer, Partnerships in Care, said that staff and her patients at Kneewsworth House Hospital, where she works as social, were thrilled to hear the news of her release.
We are all thinking of her and sending her our warmest regards. We hope to see her back at the hospital when she is ready, the statement added.