Dan Nichols , one of the 1980s mountain men, who eluded authorities by living in the wilderness for 5 months and who participated in the kidnapping of biathlete Kari Swenson, is on the run. Authorities consider him armed and dangerous.

Nichols, along with his father, kidnapped Swenson in 1984, killing a would-be rescuer in the process, reported the Associated Press. They hid in the mountains northwest of Yellowstone National Park.

The Montana attorney's office filed federal drug and weapons charges against Nichols. The Associated Press said Nichols and two other men were involved in a marijuana distribution ring worth $1.8 million.

Federal marshals are looking for him, but they would not say whether they believe Nichols has gone back to the woods.

He should definitely be considered armed and dangerous, said Chief Deputy U.S. Marshal for Montana, Rod Ostermiller to the Associated Press. He is obviously someone who hasn't been compliant with law enforcement in the past.

Nichols is thought to have amassed rifles, assault weapons, pistols, and shotguns while also engaging in drug crimes. His role in the Montana Cannabis ring included taking care of the hundreds of pot plants.

Nichols was involved in growing and selling marijuana in several cities in Montana from 2006 until 2011.

I think there is some definite safety issues involved regarding this individual, said Ostermiller. That is just one thing we can't stress enough.

The 1980's mountain men lived in the words for a year before they were discovered. They survived by cultivating crops in makeshift gardens and hunting for animals.

Swenson, a world class biathlete, had been on a training run in the mountain when she was abducted by Nichols and his father, Don. Nichols, who was 19 at the time, intended to take Swenson as his wife.

The 1980's mountain men were discovered after Swenson's abduction, when rescuers found their camp.

In the scuffle that ensued, Swenson was shot by Nichols accidentally. She survived and went on to win a bronze medal in the world biathlon championships.

Nichols and his father escaped and lived in the Madison Range until a Madison Country sheriff found them, reported the Associated Press.

His 81-year-old father, Don, is due for his parole hearing next week.

The U.S. Marshals Service's Montana Violent Offender Task Force issued a BOLO Alert based on a felony warrant charging him with possession with intent to distribute and distribution of marijuana.

Nichols is described as being 5 foot 11 inches, weighing in 160 pounds, with blond hair and blue eyes. He has a tattoo of a wolf with an orange sun on his left forearm.